Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 Sportsman 800 stumble

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like OPT said, check the wiring harnesses closely at the TBAP and especially the TPS. That is a known trouble area. I suspect though that you've got a TPS bad. They get dead spots in them that can be seen when slowly moving the throttle lever with the TPS connector hooked up to a volt meter as jumps or drops in output voltage. Good discussions on how to test can be found on the RZR, Ranger and Polaris forums. You have to back probe the connector or get/make a test harness that plugs in between the TPS and factory connector.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can get the tps adjustment tool itself cheap now for 39 bucks,35 without a meter.Plus it's way more compact compared to the 9 volt battery, wiring harness,regulator and connector that we had at the shop to set the tps or check for erratic vdc jumps.POLARIS RZR TPS Adjustment Tool (3 pin triangle) Plus most people don't realize how sensitive the internal spring in the tps was when they start messing with them. That's when I only had to change them out when customers screwed them up. Most of the time it's still a wiring harness problem on those thin telephone type wires that Polaris used for the sensors along with their cheap connectors.Otb helped a lot on those.I hope somewhere down the line they've improved those,but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Yep I forgot to give him the warning about studying thoroughly before attempting to mess with the TPS. I bet you did get a lot of them where the owner had tried to adjust the idle or mess with the TPS without knowing how it all worked OPT. If he don't mess with any settings and just hook up and test for smooth voltage output to see if any jumps or dead spots he can quickly eliminate or confirm if the TPS has a bad spot(s).

Old 04-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One some of the Rangers and Sportsmans You could tell rear quick if the throttle body or sensors had been messed with. That D ring idle adjuster would be chewed up from people using needle nose pliers instead of the right tool. On some of the Rangers a separate tps wasn't available,you had to buy the whole throttle body assy..That chapped a lot of shade tree mechanics,but they had no one to blame but themselves.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should you work for them? Maybe if they don't charge you for the work they've done, and not done.

Some auto repair shops also have a lot of turn over. I think it goes like this. They don't pay well enough to get someone well qualified for the job, so they hire someone who isn't very good, then they quit because of the low pay and crappy conditions, or get fired. Then they replace them with someone else who isn't very good, and so on.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I couldn't work for such a low wage. Those days are long gone. I'm at the position now where my time is worth more at the office (small business owner) than the time away for a side job. When I get it back and if they can't repair it (or even find/buy the correct adapter for Digital Wrench), I'll spend the time to go through the harness. It's a matter of principal now. I'm seriously doubting that the TBAP was bad at this point, I need to pull apart the OTB plug repair that the previous owner installed, I just assumed he did it correctly. I know that the TPS has a smooth sweep from the (spec) .7 V up to 2.6 V (not spec for an 06?). Tim will tell. In the meantime, I just picked up an 09 Sportsman 300 for the kids that I need to service and give a good going over.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some of the otb kits could have different color wires and a tag showing what wire it goes to like the Polaris kits did.Po may have gotten one wrong.Here's a manual for the 09 300 if needed.2009 Polaris Sportsman 300 Service Manual PDF Download