Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Melted ECM connector 2006 sportsman 500 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Melted ECM connector 2006 sportsman 500 EFI

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Hope someone can help me out.
I have an 2006 Sportsman 500 HO EFI. It has been giving be problems, backfiring running ruff and stalling. I caved and took it to the dealer where they told me I needed a new ECM. When they plugged in the diagnostics computer. they were not able to even get a reading. So they said my EMC was dead. So I purchased a new ECM. With the high cost of the ECM I figured I would install it my self to save some money. Here is my issue. When I pulled off the 16pin electrical connector I found one of the pins pushed back out of the connector. It was the heavier gauge solid red wire. Would this be the main power wire? Also on the 14 pin connector I found 3 pins on the end badly melted. Whats causing the the pins to heat up and melt the connector? Once I replace the connector end will it be safe to plug in my new ECM? I really would like to know what caused the short, before I plug in my expensive new ECM. Any answers would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Dennis