Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI cranks, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI cranks, but won't start

HI, all. My 500 won't start. I replaced the battery. All the lights and control panel work. The 4 fuses under the front are all good. When I turn the key on, I can hear a little noise that I believe is the fuel pump, and when I turn it off, I definitely hear clicking and noises that I believe are the fuel pump. The new battery was putting out ~12.5V, and the spark plug is putting out spark. I replaced the spark plug for good measure, but the old one didn't look fouled or anything. No codes in the system. Air filter didn't look too bad, but even with the air filter off completely, it wouldn't only crank, but not even turn over. So, I got some starter fluid and sprayed that into the air intake when I took the filter off. Now, when I try to start it, it makes more noise. It sounds like it is starting to turn over, but just won't get to a self-sustaining level.

Any ideas? I appreciate any comments or advise. I don't want to take it into the deal, because I know that will be expensive, but I don't have a lot of experience with these machines.

(Note: I did see this thread: https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...-no-start.html, but I'm not sure it's the same issue. But, if people feel this is somehow also a wiring problem, I can look into that.)

Thanks,

Jeff