Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Sportsman 400 1996

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 400 1996

The quad will not engage starter. Battery has lights bright but clicks when starter switch is turned. Some times the starter spins but does not engage. Started a couple months ago. I put charger on it but nothing. Any suggestions? Most of the time I hear a click near battery. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Check the connections on the battery and solenoid for any corrosion,etc. If the battery is old replacement may be needed. (you can have it load checked at any auto store) If the battery is ok, just jump the contacts on the solenoid and see if it does the same thing(starter barely turns,etc.You can also just check with a test light that power is getting to the starter through the solenoid. If so then probably starter brushes worn,trash,moisture in the starter.You can either take it apart,clean,replace brushes or check DB Electric for cheap prices on starter and starter gear shafts(starter bendix). The starter is usually the problem since it's at the bottom of the engine( subject to water and dirt) If mine I would replace both the starter and the bendix(so you don't have to go back in if the bendix fails!). Cheap enough to get both of them at DB if they have never been replaced. Keep us updated. OPT

Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPT is right, the Fuji 2 stroke had a real problem with water and crud getting into the bottom mounted starter, that is more than likely your problem, it is rusted/siezed up and wont engage. Not real fun to remove/replace, best thing to do with a new one is to make sure the gaskets get a little silicone on them,and packs some grease in with the starter gear assembly to keep moiture out and corrosion from ruining the new starter.