Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 polaris sportsman 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 polaris sportsman 500 ho

new to this site and posted in the wrong area. I am pulling my hair out on this problem. my quad will start with the pull start, but not the key. the engine will turn over but not start. i have replaced the spark plug, checked for spark, and it has spark. i have taken the pull start housing off and cleaned up everything in there. didnt do anything to the stator services though. checked the coil and according to the repair manual, the primary is fine, but the secondary is supposed to read 6.3 ohms and it reads almost 10 ohms. dont know if this is the problem. oh ya, when i put in a new battery,didnt help, but when i hook up the battery charger and put the "start" button on from the charger, the quad turns over faster and starts. dont know what the problem is, but if anyone has any ideas or has gone through this problem i would appreciate any help. thank you

Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a common problem that's been happening on a lot of 500s lately. Some would recoil start ok,but not electric start.Mainly because the recoil start will spin the engine faster than the electric start and will give more spark.Adding a charger allows it to electric start faster and will crank. Most of the time it's the pulse coil outside of the flywheel may have been bumped,trash on the magnet etc. You can't really adjust the pulse coil in because the coil and hold down bracket aren't slotted so it can move,BUT you can slightly tap the coil and bracket slightly inward and then see if it will start. You can also check the resistance on the pulse coil white and white/red wires coming into the cdi. Should be around 97 ohms + or- 20%. If out of spec the the pulse coil could be weak.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Had that happen.
Clean the pulse coil,s magnetic face and maybe bend it slightly closer to the flywheel. Sand the rust off the flywheel,s contact spot to the pulse coil.