Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

02 500 sportsman factory carb settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 500 sportsman factory carb settings

Hello everyone,

New to owning a Polaris and new to ATV's, was always a sled guy. Anyway I just gave my carb a overhaul and want to put all the jets back to factory settings. Does anyone know what they are or where I can find them?

Also - anyone have a Polaris shop manual kicking around for the machine?

Scott

Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Main and pilot "jets" just snug down in their fittings. The only adjustable setting (fuel screw) besides the idle adjuster is under a block off plug at the bottom front of the carb. If it's been removed and tampered with,the base setting is 2 turns out from a lightly seated position. Warm the engine up(with air box and filter on) and with a small screw driver or carb tool turn this screw out slowly. Engine rpms will increase,stop when you hear a rpm drop or blubber,turn back in to the smoothest idle setting which is usually between 2 1/2-3 turns out. Look over this fuel section from the manual on carbs.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA You have the finicky BST40 which is hard to adjust the float level to where it won't at least dribble a little out of the overflow tube.Here's a good article on this type carb like yours but used on a Ktm LC4. Float adjustment is the same.The BST-40 Bible | Adventure Rider If you want a shop manual here's one for 5 bucks.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2002-Po...ce-Manual.html

Attached Thumbnails 02 500 sportsman factory carb settings-s-l225.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the great info OPT. I did as you suggested and it started today almost right away. Now to play with fuel screw, right now with 2 turns its idling really high. I'll go pick up a smaller screw driver tomorrow and play with it a bit.

Thanks again for the great advise and quick reply!

Scott

Old 03-14-2016, 02:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lower the idle first with the idle adjuster to about 1050/1080 rpms then fine tune with the small fuel screw to get the best even idle and throttle response.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I still can seem to get this carb right. I did everything OPT said however the quad just continues to idle high. This is what I have tried so far:

Alway with quad warmed up.

- tried with the screw no turns, 1/2 all the way up to 3 and I get the same result, high idle.
- I also replaced all the jets with the same as was in there, same result.
And I have played with the idle screw underneath the bowl and it does nothing for lowering the idle.

I'm at a lost on what else to try, what am I missing here! Thanks in advance for anyone who offers suggestions.

Scott

Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What is the fuel screw,small screw at front of carb set at? Should be around 2.5-3 turns out from a light seated position. Thumb throttle has to have 1/8" slack. The large idle adjust screw then is used to adjust idle up and down. If you still can't get it right,spray some wd40 around the intake manifold,head and base gasket and see if the engine idles down. Could have a small leak on the manifold itself.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT, I'm going to go try your suggestions, I'll let you know. Thanks again

Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got this thing working, OPT I re-read your last suggestion and adjusted it 1/8 and sure enough bam it worked like a charm.

Thanks again for all your help on this. Now I got a new problem which I will create another thread for lol.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Common problem on the throttle slack.Too little and the internal throttle etc contacts will touch and the machine will die. Thumb throttle too tight and it will idle too high and you can't adjust the idle properly. I've adjusted plenty of these over the years in the back of trucks,trailers,etc when people had problems and couldn't figure out what to do.