Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

help ,2005 sportsman 700 twin not efi fan not cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help ,2005 sportsman 700 twin not efi fan not cycling

Hi ,read through as much as possible on fan not cycling on and off and can not figure out my problem . New thermostat ,no change ,new temp sensor on cylinderhead ,no change , old rad had a bend on bottom so replaced rad and hoses with a good clean rad.new antifreeze .fan cuts in and will not shut off unless i turn the key off and then it shuts off .If i disconnect the temp sensor the fan cuts in as it should if i put a little cold water on the old or new sensor the fan will shut off . the machine does not seem to be running hot and i can feel the temp change in the rad and the hoses as the thermostat opens and closes . when i throttle i can see the rad hose neck drop and seems like good circulation . It seems to me that the thermostat is set at a higher temp than the fan so the fan will always run . never checked the resistance the switch but new and old switch are working the same .hot light is not flashing . I can feel the right side of the rad getting hot then cooling off .Machine has updated ecm ,not replaced by me .Any suggestions would be appreciated ,thanks.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Two different temp sensors on this model depending on the build date. Don't know if that would have that much of a change though. Item26. Polaris ATV Parts 2005 A05MH68AK-AN-AD SPORTSMAN 700 ENGINE, CYLINDER and CYLINDER HEAD Diagram Plus you can jack the front of the machine up and leave the radiator cap off. Let the fan cycle on and off to remove any possible trapped air pockets.Plus make sure the back of the radiator is clean. Worst spot for any blockage is around the fan area.Some have had to remove the radiators to clean then thoroughly.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi and thanks ,missed that there were 2 different temp sensors ,i put in the 4010398 ,but I need production date for the quad 4XAMH68A45A377238 ,any way of getting production date or i will call the dealer on monday ,thanks . Machine was raised in the front to bleed out any air .Thinking (hoping)I may have the wrong sensor put in ,thanks for helping so quick and for your knowledge.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Dealer's own vin# info has the build date,all bulletins done or needing to be done,original owner info(if not you),etc.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi,i do have the correct temp sensor in for my model ,seems as though the fan cuts in just before the thermostat opens. The rad cools the engine but fan still wont shut off.Iremoved the pump cover and checked the impeller and all seems fine. i cannot find a relay on the fan to see if that would be sticking.I had the bike out for a 5 hr run and the fan never shut off once and the machine did not seem hot.Turing the key off then back on seems to reset the fan and unplugging the temp sensor and plugging it back in also resets the fan but 3-4 minuits later while idiling it will kick back in and not shut off. I have another used ecm coming to try that but other than that I have no idea what the cause is .newer rad ,cap,temp sensor,burp system ,pumping fine ,not running hot ,oil clean and clear ,no codes on the machine,newer hoses ect ,thanks for helping, i would like to avoid putting in a switch and temp gauge if at all possible.thanks George.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I should have noticed this in the first post that you had the last non efi model.. Sorry... More than likely the ecm is screwing up keeping the fan on.. It controls charging,fan operation and solid state circuit breakers. The sensor on the head just sends the signal to the ecm. Rare cases there are still machines out there that have the Black Chinese ecms that haven't been changed out under the recall.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/ If that's the case you can have a new one installed free of charge. If you have the Silver Sure Power module then it's already been done once and not warrantied the second time. Not unusual for the US made modules to go out also.2005-2006 Polaris Sportsman 600 700 MV7 Surepower ECM 2203350 | eBay

Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi and thanks ,my machine already has the updated ecm but i am hoping that it is faulty and i already have another ecm ordered ,i am assuming that i just have to plug it in and not have to visit a dealer to set up.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just plug in and play. I had to change out bunches and bunches of em,Chinese and US made ecms.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi i recieved the ecm i ordered and it has a small connection instead of the big connection that is on my quad. I believe it may be an older version of ecm part # 4011044 and mine is 2203350 .It would still connect just has a bit different looking wiring. when I connected it my fan would not cut in at all and when i unplugged the thermal switch the fan still never cut in.So i reinstalled my old ecm again and the fan did cut in but as usual it won't shut off ever when the rad cooled down unless i switch of and on the key .Dont know what else to do other than order another ecm .

Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Both models on the parts break downs show to use the 2203350 module. If you received the 4011040 send it back!! Most of these were the Chinese modules. Don't know where you ordered it,but sounds like someone is trying to pawn an old module off on you.http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/...ule-controller