Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 700 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 700 sportsman

I just bought a 2002 700. Quad started right up ... plowed my driveway for about 20 minutes then it bogged down and died. It wouldn't start back up.. it cranked then it would bind up. I took the right side plug out to test for spark and the machine fired up on one cylinder. Plenty of spark. Tried the same thing with the other cylinder and nothing. Didn't get to do a compression test... wondering if it could be valves or ignition. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Google Sportsman 700 ignition problems and you'll find a lot of posts about the updated ignition systems that have been out for years now.It affected 2002-early 2004 carb models. Some would last for years with the Ducati ignitions,some didn't. Replacement kit from Kokusan had the flywheel, stator, cdi, coil, regulator, jumper wires and instructions. You can tell if it's been replaced or not by pulling the front rack,popping off the front panel. If you have the old Ducati system you'll have a combo cdi/coil pack. The newer system has a separate cdi and ignition coil. The part # for the kit is 2202602. Check around for prices as they will vary. There is another kit out there that uses the existing lighting coil for ignition. RM Stator. Problem is that I've had these coils go out also then you're stuck. It's cheaper,a little over 200 bucks versus around 500 for the complete Kokusan that does away with it. Plus don't try to buy used electrical parts on ebay,etc to fix this ignition. They won't last. Several videos that can help on install also.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I' m getting spark from both cylinders the left side will fire up and run when I take the plug out of the right and arc it. If I take the left plug out and arc it I still get spark but it won't fire up. As soon as I put the right plug in the starter cranks and then hangs up, almost like there's too much compression....

Old 01-08-2018, 06:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It still may be because of the Ducati system or you may also have a mechanical problem,stuck lifter,etc. Compression test can help. Manual shows between 160-200 psi on each cylinder. If there is a major difference between the two cylinders on compression,you might have to tear it down to find out.The cheap manual can help on this along with other trouble shooting. 2002/2003 700s were the same. Just different colors and body graphics.2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help! I'm going to do a little more digging when I get home.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did a compression test.. 170 right side.. 140 left side. Weird thing is it fires up on the weak side when I take the right side plug out... Did a resistance test on the coil and everything is at specs.
Time to take the motor apart..ugh..
Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope the cylinders are ok(plated cylinders) and that you can go back with new pistons and rings if needed.Keep us updated.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got the machine to my buddy's shop. Took the valve cover off and the far right push rod was in front of the rocker..like it slipped out. I took the head off ... cylinders look ok..didn't have time to take the cylinder off, hopefully get to that tomorrow. Thinking it could be a bad lifter? Valve?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the push rod popped out of the rocker arm,yes it could be a problem with a stuck lifter or possibly a bent valve that caused it.You'll just have to dig further to find which one.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Collapsed lifter... ordered new ones , brought the head and cylinder to the machine shop to check..
waiting to see if I need to order new pistons and cylinder or just rings..

getting there!

Quick Reply: 2002 700 sportsman