Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 H.O. vs. Vforce??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 H.O. vs. Vforce??

My brother brought home an 02' Sportsman (totally stock 2wd), and he is wanting to run me on my wifes V-force. We both know that the V-force will probably win, but my question is.

What should we do to his STOCK H.O. to get him up to parr with the V-force??? I am thinking Pipe/air-filter/jets But which PIPE??and what would be the best clutch modifications for a better low-end pull, The quad feels fast on top end, butlacks that quick torque the V-force has.

Also when the time comes(and it will) when he wants to seriously modify the motor, Who should he talk to, He is BIG boy(350lbs) so he needs TORQUE!!

Thanks guys,

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Range Rover

save your money, don't buy an aftermarket jetkit,pipe, etc...
the only thing that's really going to make any difference is
a clutch kit on a 4 stroke.. heelclicker is the best outfit that
I know of for polaris clutch kits..
Pipes, airfilter kits, jetting really helps open up the performance
of the 2 strokes, but not the 4 strokes.. just a waste of time
and money on 4 strokes from my experience...

Old 05-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned both Quads . I do not believe you can get the 500 to match the 700. Just too much
difference .......... You can't expect to give up 200 CC's and carry so much more weight at the same time.

I had a Hot Seat pipe and clutch kit My 500 HO. I then bought a P650. The P650, stock, will reach
40 MPH .... and come to a complete stop.... in less distance than it took to get the 500 HO to 40 MPH.

My V-Force is much quicker than my P650.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Irsonly,

I know that aftermarket exhausts are Over-rated. But mainly because companies market them 15hp!!! gain!!! BS.

But they do make the POWER more usable, were you need it. In that aspect they are good. He is a BIG guy,and needs the power in the bottom/mid range, I doubt that he will ever try to win any drags with it, but the main concern is to get the power up and to the ground, so that machine can get him through and UP the sand dunes.

I know that motor has the power potential, but I need to know from you guys WHAT WORKS THE BEST.

How much is a HEELclicker clutch system? What mods can be done to the AIR/box and what pipe seems to be best for power delivery?

BIggerisbetter.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

biggerisbetter, polaris never made a "totally stock 2 wd sportsman"
in 02.. all their sportsmans have always been 4wd...the heelclicker
clutch system is about 190 bucks or 160 bucks from another forum
because he can buy them in bulk and pass on the savings to u..don't
want to give it on this forum but I'll just say it's one of the "best
ATV forums in the NATION" just like this forum is...the heelclicker
will get more power to the ground and give you more snappy
bottom end.. I've even heard of it improving top end by 1-2 mph
but that's not what it's intended for.. it really does make the
power more useable.... as for all the other things.. I've tried lots
of them to no avail.. all it left was a hole in my pocket book..

Go to the heelclicker website and they have lots of good
info on there..I believe it's www.heelclicker.com

Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have the HPD Powermaxx exhaust on my 500 HO Scrambler (same motor as on 500 HO Sportsman). It gave me a real noticeable increase in low end and midrange torque. The exhaust is rated for a 4-5 HP increase, and I think that is very accurate. The pipe itself is about 2 times bigger than the stock one. Definately get a clutch kit. A lot of sportsman owners like the Heelclicker. I personally like the HPD aggressive clutch kit. But, I like to ride more aggressively. A K&N is good too. Also, the HPD pipe comes with the proper main jet. Other than that, there is not a whole lot more you can do but tear into the motor. The only place that I know of that makes big bore kits for the 500 HO is Mickey Dunlap at 4 Stroke Tech. He has a 600cc or 628cc kit. He said it felt like it doubled the power and he has not had any reliabilaty issues with it.

Old 06-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

The V force will definitely win, not probably. I own both machines and both are great for what they were designed for. The V force has much more power and acceleration than the Sportsman. The 500 h.o. is powerful and quite fast for a big 4x4, but I think it would be a waste of time and money trying to make it keep up to the V force. They are 2 very different quads......

Old 06-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your talking about two totally different quads, and spending mega bucks to try and be getting nowhere. But if you wanted to try probably a big bore kit from highlifter.com or hot seat performance.com you might come close. If you put a pipe and jet kit on the v-force than it has the capability of going 100mph and thats no lie because I have a friend who has one. So if you want to run with it then you better go get one.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

have you considered a gallon of NOS and maybe a supecharger? My father in law has the 500, it's not meant for drag racing, trust me. Thats like a cummins diesel going against a Viper. Each has a purpose. Maybe you should do a tug of war instead.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

i looked into an aggressive kit from aaen. it cost around $1200, it's said to double the h.p. over stock. with double h.p. in a sportsman, i would say that you could shame many sport quad owners!