Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tire wear?? rawhides

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wear?? rawhides

hi all,
here in our small town we can get away with riding on the crushed stone shoulder of the main road, and we can even ride on the road most of the time because the RCMP only come around once a day, or every couple of days.

So I wondering, how much harder is the paved road on the tires, as oposed to crushed stone/hard pack??
I already know that in the hot summer sun the pave could be much hotter, and cause the tires to wear faster,
But I'm talking kool evenings, mornings, rain ...ect..

what do you think??

if you could get, lets say 5000 mile on crushed stone, how much less would get on paved road ??

Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say any hard surface such a pavement or concrete will cause tires to wear much, much faster because in dirt and crushed stone the dirt/stone can slide a little but on pavement there isn't much sliding going on and what is sliding is your tires thus eating up the rubber.

If you're just going on a slow/med speed jaunt down the road and back I wouldn't worry about it too much but if you're going any distance and at a decent speed then I'd say new tires will be in your near future....

Be careful out there.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

When I hit the trails from my house I have to ride approximately 1-2 miles on paved blacktop roads (part of the trail system) before I hit the gravel. Last summer when I moved here I noticed that my front tires were wearing pretty fast due to this and the increased amount of riding. I wore my front tires down from full to half tread in a matter of 1-1/2 months of riding on blacktop and gravel roads about 2-3 times a week for a 1 to 2 hours. The back tires have not shown as much wear as the front the ones have.