Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Talk Up Your Sportsman 500!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your right on the money victor. I've got one, big waste of money. I can talk about tie-rods, awd problems, electical and numerous other problems . . . most of this happened before the odometer rolled 1000 miles. Thanks for the reliablity polaris!

Old 05-10-2000, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Victor69er,

I have had a 98 grizzly, and bought it over the sp500 primarily due to the belief that the Japanese could put together a better bike than Polaris. The first day I had it I got something wet and it wouldn't crank for 2 days. That particular problem never happened again, but had me worried for a while. It acted like the battery was dead. Next, it overheated on me several times. After only 2 months, the back brakes were gone, and I hadn't been in that much mud. Also after only 2 months, the frame started rusting at all the welds. Apparently, the frame had only 1 coat of paint on it. The last thing that happened in less than 500 miles when I traded it in was that the front wheel bearings were worn out. That's right, less than 500 miles. Biggest heap of junk I ever owned. I believed when I bought it that it would last me at least 5 years, and hopefully 10. Boy, was I wrong. Anyway, I traded it in on an sp500, and the rest is history. I love the sp500. True, if you absolutely hate maintenance like alot of the people in this forum, you probably better steer clear of the sportsman. There are others of us, however, that don't mind or maybe even enjoy maintenance. For those of us like that, the bike is excellent. I have had mine overheat when mud got clogged into the radiator, and my front tie rod ends have been replaced once. Since the overheat, I carry a one-gallon sprayer to wet the radiator when it gets mud in it. It will take a while for the water to evaporate off the radiator, so I can ride for quite a while. It's not like it overheats all the time, just when I get in alot of real muddy water. I also understand that Polaris is working hard to eliminate the tie rod problem. They replaced mine six months out of warranty because they know of the existing problem. The first set of brakes do wear out rather quickly, but just replace them with some severe duty pads when they wear out, and they will last about double the time. Well, there's all the pros and cons on my bike. Those few problems with the sp500 are by far outweighed by the pleasure of owning one. I keep mine stock, and there's not any other bike that can go where I can that is stock. Matter of fact, I can go more places than alot of modified Honda's, Yamaha's, etc.

Old 05-11-2000, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

I LIKE MY 96 SP 500 ITS THE BEST OUT THERE. I LIKE TO SEE A NEW SP FOR 2001.

Old 05-11-2000, 03:21 AM
hc
Range Rover

I read a lot on here and talk little. I have a "99" SP500 bought new. Mostly for hunting and trail riding. Have had it almost a year now. No major problems with it,only minor. Lose bolts(4).
During deer season i was out in the rain in red sticky mud a lot.I have pulled a old mule disk with out any problems at all in hot weather planting food plots for deer. Usally stop at a carwash and knock off the heavy stuff. The SP500 was flawless it didn't let me down at all and sometimes i was the only one on the hunting club,100 miles from home. It may die on me tomorrow! I said all that to say that it's just what i like in a atv, the best ridding atv that i have every been on. My son has a yamaha "96" and his wife has a 2000 honda. I like to do maintenace on it. When you have to grease one it sort of makes you look the atv over real good and check for things that could go wrong done the road. You know, PM'S. Any part(s) that move will wear out sometime down the road, may take years. But when you do PM's on your atv you have a good idea of when to change out something so you are not caught off in the back-side of nowhere. What ever you ride keep a good check on it.

Old 05-11-2000, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider

You make a very good point,and one I totally agree with.The maintence is not that big of a deal, just take a few minutes and do it. Having owned Hondas,Yamahas,Suzuikis,and even to Hodakas bolts come loose,things get bent on all of them. it takes me about 30minutes to grease the thing now thats not a long time at all. I guess i dont see the big deal that everyone is so hung up on.

Old 05-11-2000, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

I must say that page 2 of this thread is refreshingly informative and realistic compared to the hearsay and innuendo being presented as “advice” on page one. To Irichard, all I can say is “Duh,” since this level of vocabulary obviously has meaning to you. If you don’t like Polaris don’t buy one. Repeating unsubstantiated horror stories with the addition of your editorial opinion is only negative meaningless drivel. If you want to actually contribute to this thread, tell us about what you ride and why you prefer it over the machine(s) in question, don’t just repeat things you have no first-hand knowledge of.