Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 scrambler 500 4x4 performance????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 11:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 scrambler 500 4x4 performance????????

NC may be right, but for me personally, I haven't had any problems with the 700 belt. There has been a lot of heated discussions about the 700 belt VS. the stock belt. I have noticed a better difference than the stock belt. I also carry the stock belt with me just in case. I have the HPD aggressive clutch kit mad to go with the HPD pipe. They have a setup with the stock engine and pipe, one for the stock engine and HPD pipe, and one for a stock engine and HPD pipe with a higher engagement. I went with the middle one with the lower engagement because that is what Rick Ritter recommended for trail/woods riding. I have some pictures that I have to upload of last weekend when I was stabding it almost on end. All I have to do is sit farther back on the seat and nail the gas and the front end will come right up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Big BAd,would you please help me to mod my scrambler 500 4x4 1999 but i dont know if its H.O or not,I have been surfin to HPD inc,like you suggested to bultaco290,but I get confused,which clutch kits should I take?which agresive clutch?and what about shift drum con kit?should I change aswell?
Thanks alot.
regards,
mikulix

Old 07-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

The best $30 - $40 spent would be on a decent work-shop manual. This will also step you though any jetting changes that may be requried (altitudes,climates etc).

Old 07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

All scrambler 500's are the H.O. except the '97 model. Do you already have a performance pipe? If not, get the one for stock engine. If you do have a performance pipe, then you can get one of the kits for a performance pipe, even though it is not the HPD. Now, it depends on your riding style. I got the kit that was a little higher than stock engagement. This kit is tuned more towards trail riding. Now, if you mostly drag race, then you may want the high engagement one. But, that is going to make trail riding fairly difficult. Forget the shift drum convertion. Get the TEAM roller secondary clutch. It is only $80 more but is the best thing that you can do to your clutches. Combine that with a Comet primary clutch and you will have the fastest most efficient tranny around. Also, if you get the TEAM clutch, I believe that they will make your clutch kit $90

Old 07-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot Big Bad,I got stock engine and stock things,need your experience,and you already help me,thank you.I just bought a new predator cause frustated of my scrambler(not get help from HSP for speed kit)but I haven't try by HPD inc,I hope HPD will sell agresive clutch kit and pipe to me cause I stay in Swiss(most of dealers sell only in USA and Canada region only.
Can I combine HPD agresive clutch kit and HPD pipe with 42mm carbs ?I mean will improve performance?can you guys tell me any thing to make my scrambler screaming without blow the engine?any modification doesnt matter ,money aswell,I just need your experience and teacher like you guys.if one day my scrambler blow in fire....I drive my predator till end.Thanks alot!!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, I am not sure if HPD sells international. If they don't you can try to contact Rick Ritter at RCR. He sells HPD stuff as well. He might sell international, I don't know for sure. If you have an HPD exhaust, HPD clutch kit (even better with TEAM clutch) and a 42mm carb, you should see a BIG difference. I think that only AAEN is the only place that sells the 42mm carb. Other companies use to sell it but stopped because it was too hard to jet. An HPD air box mod is a good way to gain about 2hp and better throttle response. That is about it. To get any more performance, you need to start breaking into the engine. If you want REAL power, you can contact Mickey Dunlap at Four Stroke Tech. He has a 600 and 628cc big bore kits for the 500 H.O. engines. I haven't heard of any problems with them, just that you have to run a higher octane gas. He no longer has a website, but here is a link to a thread that he is in. If you want you can send him a private message. If you need more help feel free to ask