Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2000, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 trailblazer and i need to know how to bleed the brake. I have know idea how to. But there is no pressure at all when i pull the lever back and the brakes don't work at all.the pads are fine so i know there is air in the line.There is no leak i think one of my vaulves were open.please help me.

Old 05-10-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

blazer

This is a very simple procedure, but it helps to have two people. I am no mechanic, but I bleed my brakes quite often. Here is the procedure that I use:

1. First, clean the brake and handle bar area up. No need to get dirt into the system.

2. Second, take a small wrench (1/4" I think) and loosen one of the bleed screws on one of the calibers. Have someone squeeze the brake handle and hold it down. While the brake handle is being held, tighten the bleed screw and let off of the handle.

3. Check the fluid resevoir level and fill if necessary with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.

4. Some people will put a tube over the bleed screw and direct the fluid into a dish to minimize the mess. I just clean it up when done. Do not get fluid on the pads.

5. Repeat the above procedure until the brakes firm up. If there is a lot of air in the system, it will take several times. I have also done it by loosening all three calibers at once and bleeding them all at the same time. I don't know if this worked any better, but you can try it.

Hope this helps

Old 05-10-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Blazer i would suggest that you bring it in if it is under warrenty there may be a parts faiure or a defective part in your braking system if not under warrenty faollow muds direction and you will be fine .

Old 05-10-2000, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Start with the rear caliper, but note that the caliper has two bleeder screws, one for the hand brake and one for the foot brake. Be sure that you are bleeding the hand brake portion of the caliper. Pump up the hand brake and hold it while you open the bleeder screw. Close the screw when the fuid stops, or when the brake handle bottoms out. When you get fluid without any bubbles out of the bleeder screw, move to the front calipers and repeat. Keep the reservoir full of brake fluid, or you'll have to start over. Good luck and use good, clean fluid.