Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator carb rumor I heard

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator carb rumor I heard

SP700- Gary had posted 8lbs torque and 7 hp in the bottom/mid range your numbers are little high (10) read the charts yourself.

Gary also never mentioned until he sold the first few kits that there was two plates with the AirForce Kit and one was after the airfilter and even with two foams oiled is a bone head idea.

Why the hell didn't he just make the back plate larger like a 2x3 hole? (Raths) lol to get that extra air need with a nice single plate

Very few people run only on asphalt and don't need to be as concerned with the plate after the filter.

I own a AirForce Kit and know the facts.

It's a 15 minute drive to my nearest ATV Dyno and damn if you know I have unlimited access to it.

Yes and I know how to turn all my own wrenchs and have been for years without having to pay someone else.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, gary's dyno said 8 hp, but Dirt wheels said there's showed 10 hp. Either way it was a big improvement over stock, It didn't lose power. I was there on the dyno runs @ Superbike shop I know the results. The second plate is there for a reason. Not going to get into the physics of why. If your concerned with the foam element, just cut a pre-filter and install under plate. Like Rath uses. no big deal. And who the hell said anything about you having access to a dyno, or you being able to turn a wrench.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

all right guys, I think we're getting a little our of controll here. Christ, I feel like I'm 15 in a pissing contest with the kids up the street, and I'm not trying to be "that guy". SP your right about the posted power gains from the airforce kit but I wanted to remove the airbox, I like the way the bike looks without it.

Have we concluded if anyone with a Predator has cut the spring in the carb like the DS guys do and what happened? Now that I can hear the intake of the engine with the slip on I can hear when the slide is open vs. when it's closed in respect to throttle position. It appears that cutting the spring might make it snappier on the bottom end, BUT will it allow too much slide movement causing a rich condition, possibily flooding the engine?

Old 06-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Ripper, the carb mod is a part ofthe Airforce kit. Yes it will rev faster with the spring cut, but also drill out the two holes on the slide one size larger. Actually it will improve the jetting over the stock set up. You can actually see the slide open on the dyno and a sharp drop in the HP curve occurs. This mod will correct the Lean/rich condition that is caused when the slide opens, just use a 50 pilot jet.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

A carb performance shop modified my CV carb and it was great. Very Snappy. Not just a jetting thing but patented alterations to the emulsion tube. Sadly I cannot ride my quad right now....it is in the shop. Of course it is getting a Mikuni 42 HSR fitted. I was running stock gearing but went up a tooth in the front to stretch 2nd gear out longer. It was still fast but now I am realizing that 15/38 is insanely tall gearing robbing my acceleration for MX riding and others are going with 13/38 (on 20" razrs). Anyway, if all things go well I should have my new sidewinder sprocket down 2 teeth in the front and about a 4-5 HP bump due to the Mikuni HSR carb by next thursday. Will report the results if I don't launch myself into the hospital first. I unfortunately don't know the cost yet other than the fact that those frickin carbs are about $400 starters then there is the adaptors and custom jetting and airbox mods. Of course this performance gain might last me the life of the machine unlike a 580 sleeve!