Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Non-atv related topic...Looking to buy a Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-atv related topic...Looking to buy a Chevy Silverado

I dont want to start a war or anything, but I dont think I would buy it or another chevrolet ever again.
I have a '99 Z71 (new style) and cant really say ive been 100% satisfied. I am the original owner. It's OK, but its got its quirks. transmission shifts inconsistently. switches go out. window motors burn up. i keep hearing this "clunck" when I let off the gas.. the dealer said it was fine... (they suck too). .... just annoying weird stuff. The rear end makes a noise. No, i do not like having a chevy (or anything) without a warranty! I speak from experience not "hate chevy" speech. My warranty is out now and CHEVY would NOT sell me an extended one. I bought an extended one when I got the truck, but the dealer checked the wrong boxes and screwed me over. I paid $1200 for nothing. That dealer went under, so I'm screwed. GM/Cheverolet head quarters didnt want to help me out either.

Also, my cousin had a 1997 Z71 with similar problems as mine and the dealer had to wind up putting 7 (yes, 7) computers in it and it never got straightened out. He also had weird probs with his.

Anyway, $10,000 for a truck with over 100,000 miles on it - I dunno about that. Its not the money its the mileage. KBB says its worth 12-13K. But where has this thing been and what stories could it tell?
It could be highway miles - which is ok - but you dont know where its been, who had it, or what they did to it. THe buttwad salesman will tell you anything so you'll buy it, so I dont think he'll tel you the real truth about it. If you knew the person that owned it, and knew how they treated it, then obviously that would help you..
On the other hand, you may luck out like my brother who has a '92 with over 300,000 miles on it, on the original engine/transmission. he runs the **** out of it too. Still running strong. ..

But, you can call me whatever, I will buy Toyota or something else next time.

Just curious, what did you offer the dealer for it?

Old 06-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

steve89,

I looked at my tires and the stock fronts are 23 and the stock rears are 22. My Bear Claws and Mud Machines are both 22 (front and rear) and are working fine.

carver,
oh yea, i have seen many of your post & i never would have guessed that your "17".
Thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone for your help and honest opinions (twentycharacters). This would be my first truck and I am excited yet very unsure. I really love this truck. The moment I started this truck and gave it some gas (floored it..hehe...of course I was a few blocks away from the dealer before doing that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) I fell in love with it. Just the sound alone of the exhaust got my juices flowin, but I still am very reluctant about buying this thing. I think (who knows, my mind changes by the second) that I will pass this one up and ditch the dealer route in hope of finding a better deal from a private seller.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, and to answer the question, I offered the dealer 7,000.

btw, the tires on the truck are Mickey Thompsons.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear you had bad luck too with the 99'.My first truck was a toyota and mad it had no room! 2nd one was the 99' like you I had alot of problems ALOT! I traded it for a 01 and let me tell you there like 2 different trucks so much better.Never again would i buy a first year run truck or car oratv!
Still say its a good deal, you know theres alot of chevys out there if for some reason u needed to replace a broken part.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

good luck!