Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Non-atv related topic...Looking to buy a Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-atv related topic...Looking to buy a Chevy Silverado

Within the past few days, I have been looking at a 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 automatic with the Z71 off road package, 5.7 Liter V8, extended cab, offroad tires, and a flowmaster exhaust. This thing has 111,100 miles on it and the dealer is asking $10,900. I personally know this is an excellent truck and I even had it checked out by an excellent mechanic, but my problem is paying over $10,000 for a truck with over 100,000 miles on it. Am I wrong or not? I mean, I want to be fair, but I don't want to be ripped off. I made the guy (a used car dealer) a low offer thinking the worst he could do is say no. Of course, no matter what, he would probly try to talk me up higher anyways (usually). He turned my offer down. Anyways, to any of you mechanics or guys that know trucks, how much do you think this thing is worth? I know it is hard to answer being that you didn't even see the truck or know much about it...just some info, tips, what you would pay, or a ballpark price would do. This is the most money I have ever spent in my life, since I'm only 17, so I figured, who else to turn to but the ATV Connection forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

You didnt say if its a LT or LS .But trucks unlike cars keep some of there value and at $10,000 would be a good price if the powertran is sound.Do a search on www.kbb.com they have a used car value guide.Says from dealer its around 12,000 or so I didnt know what options you have also.Private saler is around 10,500.Anyway check that site out and if you could talk him down just 500 it still would be a good vaule.Lets face it things every year get higher and wages stayt he same.
By the way you have a 98 500 scrambler?Do you know for sure the right size tires for a 97 like yours??I have a book and it says 24x11x10 and i bought it used with 22x11x10's it said 97-98 with the 24's so if you could post a reply that could help me a bunch too.
thanks

Old 06-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Personally, I wouldn't pay over 10g on a truck with over 111,000 miles. But, that is just me. Keep in mind. The chevy has IFS which can get ot be really expensive and a pain in the butt (believe me, I know) especially if it has oversized off road tires. That puts a lot more stress on the drivetrain and suspension. Ball joints, torsen bars, cv shafts, idler arms, ect ect go pretty quickly on chevys

Old 06-27-2003, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

And again we havent seen this truck or know where its at.This would also make a difference.Around here if it looked good and sound it would sell for that.

Old 06-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

The tires are not oversized. They are stock size, just a more aggressive tire.

Let me state, I understand it is VERY hard to give info on a vehicle you have never seen and have no clue on what condition it is in based on personal experience. I am just lookin for any input possible.

Steve89...
My manual says 1997 and 1998 500 Scramblers have front 23x7x10 tires and rear 24x11x10 tires. I will check tomorrow to be sure.

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Old 06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

If your satisfied that it was well cared for, there's no reason it can't go 200,000 without any engine work, I've got 176,000 on my truck (thank you Mobile 1) The cost of ownership is the key, if you take a loan the payments will be half that of a new truck, that gives you a cushion for maintence.

Old 06-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

Offrder15, My (clymer) book says that too.It also says 97-98 rear sproket teeth should 38 and mine has it.I bought it used and it came with 22x11x10's.
Im just wondering if it nneds the 36 sproket like the 99's or the lager 24 tire and newer have they i know came with 22x11x10 tires..with 36 tooth....
Let me know.
What did u decide with that truck? I have a 01 Z71 and i love it.If you keep up the oil changes you should get another 60-80,000 miles with out a problem.
Stay away from the 99's they had a few bugs after they redone the new line.Plus that year they were on strike and who know if some are a little diff.Get my drift

Old 06-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

It's called sticker shock. I have it to when I buy new or used. I have a 1999 Chevy 1/2 4x4 last year paid a little over 20k So far I love it. Hard to buy used or new when you look at the prices. Then again i'm old enough I bought a lot of new cars and trucks under 3K. Now for the price I paid for the 1999 was a time i'd have bought almost 7 new trucks

Old 06-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

it's worth it! but, if you plan to sell it within' 2 yrs. you will be lucky to get half of your purchase price. i was that same salesman that your speaking of before, unlike new vehicle's, you never know what the dealer paid for a used one (or traded for) my advice is, go into the dealership with your best poker face & stick to a price. the salesman will laugh & say "that's less than we have in it" you say "well, thank you for your time". that's the worst private insult that a salesman encounters. then, as your on your feet, about to walk, he (or she) says, "hold on just a second, let me go ask the manager to thank you for visiting". then the damn manager walkes his way into your office & becomes the hero, getting very close to your offer. the point is, if you never see the manager, your paying to much. if you grind'em & the manager closes the deal, then you have won. keep in mind, although you need the best deal that you can find, the dealership has to make enough gross profit from enough people to keep the door's open. what's fair? $1000 over cost of used & $500 above invoice on new. as mentioned earlier, gm's ifs is not for rock crawling. if you need to cross mudhole's here & there it's fine & actually is a fine 4x4 overall, & 111k isn't crap! if you plan to keep it you should get to 180k dependibly for the most part.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

oh yea, i have seen many of your post & i never would have guessed that your "17".

Quick Reply: Non-atv related topic...Looking to buy a Chevy Silverado