Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Coolant drip on scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant drip on scrambler

Hi all,
I own a 99 scrambler 500. There is a slow drip of coolant leaking from my water pump. I removed the skid plate and when I look under the machine at the water pump, there is a small hole in the case. There is coolant running out the hole and down the side of the water pump. Any ideas what the problem is? I went on a weekend trip and the whole reservoir was completely empty but there was still fluid in the radiator. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you are leaking from the weap hole. If that is the case than more than likely you have a problem with the water pump mechanical seal, which I believe requires a special tool to remove.

Old 06-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

By the way, welcome!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, If you don't already have a POLARIS service manual, get one!. They are a life saver. If you need the instructions just let me know. I blieve that there is also a small rubber washer inbetween the impeller and mechanical seal which needs to be replaced also, around $3

Old 06-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I'm actually trying to fix the problems with it and then sell it, so I'd rather not buy a manual now. The scrambler just isn't a comfortable atv to sit on for long rides. I've been happy with the power and drivetrain, but it has squeaks and I've had many problems with the clutch and belt. I'm thinking about getting a Kawasaki Prairie 650 or maybe the new 700. I like the sportsman, but it's too dang heavy and I like the solid rear axle on the Prairie, there's a lot less body roll. I also like the sealed rear brake on the Prarie for when I go mudding. I would appreciate any more instructions you could give me on the water pump repair. Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, I got this from my manual

Romoval:
The water pump mechanical seal removal toool (2872105) is needed to reove mechanical seal without removing engine and spliting the cases.
1. Drain the coolant and remove the water pump cover, impeller and sealing washer

2.Slide main puller body over the outer portion of the mechanical seal and turn the T-Handle clockwise until it contacts water pump shaft. Continue rotating until outer portion of mechanical seal is seperated from the metal seal body.

3.Insert the puller legs between the water pump drive shaft and the remaining portion of the mechanical seal. Attach the puller legs to the main puller body

3.Ensure that the split between the puller legs is fully supported by the body of the tool.

4.Tighten the hex socket screws on the puller legs sufficiently so the lip of the puller legs will grasp the mechanical seal

5.Turn the puller T-Handle clockwise until it contacts the water pump shaft. Continue rotating until the remaining portion of mechanical seal has been removed from the cases. Pump shaft oil seal can also be replaced at this time.

Installation

1.Clean the seal cavity to remove all traces of old sealer

2. Place a new mechanical seal in the seal drive collar and instal the pump shaft

3.Screw the guide onto the end of the pump shaft

4.Install the washer and nut and tighten to draw seal into place until fully seated

5. Remove the guide adaptor using the additional nut as a jam nut if necessary

6.Special tool (PN5131135) is required to intall the new mechanical seal. This tool is available seperately and it is also included in the Crankshaft/Water Pump Seal Installation Kit (PN2871283)

Old 06-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you need more than that just PM me your email address and I will try to scan the pages with the pictures and send them to you. Also, you may want to wait off on the P650 until Polaris releases the rest of the 2004 lineup. There are rumors of a scrambler 700 that is suppose to be nothing what people think it will be

Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

It is definitely your mechanical seal and like the previous lister mentioned you need a special tool to remove it and another special tool to install the new one. The installation tool can be made from a few pipe fittings but the removal tool is quite sophisticated and will need to be purchased. The tool is quite expensive so if your getting out of Polaris's it's not worth buying one instead I'd take it to the dealer to fix.
Just my to bits worth.