Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler HPD Exhaust & Clutch HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler HPD Exhaust & Clutch HELP!!!

OK, just got done installing the POWERMAXX exhaust kit and the medium level clutch kit (the one for hte pipe). Everybody on the board said that it would have tons of noticable power difference. So far, I dont see it.

The bottom end is a LITTLE stronger (the front end actually pulls up a bit), but the top end actually seems a little worse. It doesnt seem to pull as hard inthe mid to upper range.

It has the 160 jet ad as the directions stated, I turned the pilot screw out 3 turns from lightly seated ( does anybody know what the pilot screw controls??). The pilot screw WAS at 4 turns stock.

Anybody have any ideas on what to do and where to go from here? Trouble shooting tips? I have yet to put on the K&N, which is on its way, but somehow I doubt that will be the magic item.

Lastly, is there a way to pop the plug (to check mixture) without taking all the front plastic off and the fuel tank?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

MC, the pilot screw adjusts the air/fuel mixture from idle to 1/4 throttle. Turning it out adds air (leans the mixture), and turning it in decreases air (richens mixture). I haven't had experience with the 500 scramblers, but I'm sure someone with post some ideas. After any mods, make sure to perform jetting runs. Start 1/4 throttle, hold steady for at least 1/4 mile, use the handlebar kill switch and coast to a stop...then check the plug. Repeat for 1/2, 3/4, and wide open. Hope I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

As for getting to the plug, unless you have REALLY small hands, then the plastic is gonna have to come off. No matter what, you wont see HUGE gains as you would with a 2 stroke. However, when I did mine, I already had a K&N. The low was noticable improved on mine. Wheelies are real easy to do now. I noticed that it pulled harder in the mid range. Top end is going to be minimal, because it is onlt a 4 stroke and the CVT will only let you go so fast. I may have gained a mph or two. Did yours come with the 10-58 weights, brown primary spring, and violet secondary spring? Did you whine the secondary clutch 1/3 turn and is the spring in the corrcect hole in the helix? You say you got a 160 jet...hmm.... I think that is actually got a 165 jet. But now I am not sure. I really don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you can call HPD and see what they have to say? I know that I was satisfied with my stuff.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

I am starting to think that I may have only woundthe secondary the 1/4 turn. Yes on the springs, and it is a 160. I followed th einstructions to a 'T',except I may have not wound it properly. It says if it is not wound enough, the RPM will be too low and have no power.

I will try the secondary clutch again and let you all know.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

sounds good

Old 07-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I hope you get it going good. I will be up north on a trip with my scrammy until Tueday, so I won't be much help. Good luck,

Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

The structions say that if you dont wind it enough, then the RPM will be too low and not have any power. If wont too much, then the RPM will be too high and no power. So is it a bsically it works or it doesn't? Or are there 'degrees' to getting it right?

I guess I am wondering if I got it right and the kit isn't all its cracked up to be or if i am am just that 'little' bit off on the winding.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
CED
Pro Rider

One way to tell if you have it wound right is to hook a fish scale to the outside of the sheave.Pull it and when your sheaves start to move you should be reading about 13lbs.Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Is that 13 lbs with the middle level clutch kit?

Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Did yours come with the violet.If it did it needs to be set on 2-2.

Quick Reply: Scrambler HPD Exhaust & Clutch HELP!!!