Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CVT bike engine swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT bike engine swap...

I was thinking today. A lot of guys want to swap streetbike motors into quads for tons of more power. Also a of guys that either already have a CVT quad (Scramblers, V-Force, etc.) or for the other guys that have a manual tranny but want to switch over to CVT for racing...

I'm not sure if anyone has done it yet...but I thought the perfect swap would be an Yamaha RX-1 motor. The RX-1 is the snowmobile with the R-1 streetbike motor mounted to a CVT transmission. It juices out 145 HP I think. I know a lot of people are doing R-1 conversions into Raptors and the such...but I just thought you CVT guys could use the RX-1 instead. Pretty much the same motor specs as the R-1, but no need to mess around with trying to make it work with CVT.

Just an idea...thought you guys might like it.

Jeff

Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey TyreSpinner, I know we chatted about this subject on the Bombi side. I still don't understand why all the quad guys are turning to 4-strokes. When the first 4-strokes hit the sled market, the forums lit up with all holy hell from sledheads everywhere who would rather die than ride a 4-stroke. I would have thought quad guys (and dirtbikers, too) would feel the same way but I haven't seen it since I joined this forum. 2-strokes will always be capable of more power and lighter, simpler design than a 4-stroke. Even the emissions issues are being solved right now in outboards, watercraft and sleds. My opinion is, and always has been, if you want a rocket quad, put a sled motor in it. NOTHING will touch them!

Old 08-06-2003, 07:42 PM

you could put a 800 twin polaris sled motor in it and it would be much better. plus its a 2-stroke!!!

Old 08-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

There was/is a guy on this forum named 800twin, or something like that, that has a 800 twin sled motor in a trailblazer!!! YES, a trailblazer!!!!

Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95sport400
Hey TyreSpinner, I know we chatted about this subject on the Bombi side. I still don't understand why all the quad guys are turning to 4-strokes. When the first 4-strokes hit the sled market, the forums lit up with all holy hell from sledheads everywhere who would rather die than ride a 4-stroke. I would have thought quad guys (and dirtbikers, too) would feel the same way but I haven't seen it since I joined this forum. 2-strokes will always be capable of more power and lighter, simpler design than a 4-stroke. Even the emissions issues are being solved right now in outboards, watercraft and sleds. My opinion is, and always has been, if you want a rocket quad, put a sled motor in it. NOTHING will touch them!
RX-1 is a sled motor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]...

I don't like the thumper sleds either...Just thought some guys would like to have a reliable thumper in a quad...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

I'm all for 2-stroke sleds...but I'm all for 4-strokers in quads... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I'm all for 2-stroke sleds...but I'm all for 4-strokers in quads.
Why are you for 4-strokes in quads? All the same benefits of 2-stroke in a sled apply to quads and dirt bikes. I'm just curious about your (and other quad riders) reasons for wanting a 4-stroke.

I know the RX-1 is a sled motor, but it's also very big and heavy for the power it puts out. Not a big deal if you're cruising smooth, wide, groomed trails, but there isn't much of that kind of riding available for quads.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Because some of us don't like having to rebuild often/fouling plugs and having to battle with some annoying powerbands. Plus we like not having to refuel every 10 minutes...not to mention premix.

2-strokes are lighter, have more potential, are easier to work on and cheaper to build up...That's life. If 2-strokes were that much better than thumpers...you wouldn't see so many Raptors and DS's wouldn't you?

I'm pretty neutral on this matter but I will never own a 2-stroke quad...or a 4-stroke sled. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

Im all for 4 strokes now to but i still have one 2 stroke there just more rellible and have more torq. And the gas thing is true my predator consumes less gas then my scrambler.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

We have an old 440 polaris snowmobile laying in the backyard, and i have often times thought of sticking the motor in my trailblazer, it would be so much work though......wouldnt it? what all would be involved? In the winter i ride a Ski Doo (Bombardier) summit 600 but im not gonna take the motor out of the sled i use to stick it in my TB.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

You need to pull up your pants on that picture [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: CVT bike engine swap...