Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Trail riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Trail riding in Southern WI & Badlands

How does the PRedator ride in theese areas for trail riding and such? What kind of gear ratios/ tires are people running for hill climbing torque and good trail riding power? How does it doe on rocky terrains?

Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I had a new Predator out this weekend for the first time, kind of an extended demo ride. I have ridden in this area for years, most recently on DS-650's and before that on Sportsman 500's (two each actually).

This is out west, but it is the mountains, lots of rocks, old mining roads and sand washes. First, what really impressed me was the stock gearing. First gear is actually low enough to work my way up a slow rocky hillclimb without having to go too fast or having to slip the clutch. Both my DS's, and my son's Raptor get really squirrly when the going gets rough, they lack for a lower first gear to get through the rugged stuff. The transmission is great, smooth shifting, as good or better than the DS, just hard to find neutral.

I have the Walker Evans Front shocks, set at the lowest dampening, and zero preload, as is the rear fox shock. Suspension worked great. Handling was a little squirly in SAND! I couldn't believe it. The Predator could use a smidge more caster to handle sandy situations, but once you get moving it is okay. The rear end does slide almost too easily. A set of XCT's might make it a bit more desert/mountain friendly. Those Razrs are notorious for sliding.

I got onto a single track trail I'd never been on before,,,and it got pretty gnarly. The Predator was pretty darn good at hanging on to the side of a hill, in a place where it, and I, had no business being. I think I would have rolled a DS or a Sportsman in that spot. No reverse means always having to go forward...

I like the Predator, I like the lighter weight, maybe some taller handlebars. The DS has a more comfortable seat, and it bombs along like a ferrari, the Predator is like a Porsche by comparison, quicker, lighter, but less "assured". I am keeping one of my DS's, and adding this Predator to the line-up.
My son has already traded in his Raptor for a Z-400. Out with the old, etc.

Old 08-12-2003, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Add in the front shock rezzi's, and the Trailtech bars, it's a very comfy trail machine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Leave out the top-out bumper on the front shocks when the rezzi's are installed and you'll have a full 11" of front travel.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

How did the Predator do on rocky situations and such? and muddy hills?

Old 08-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Predator Trail riding

Bump

Old 08-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

With the Walker Evans front shocks, The Predator handled the bumpy stuff really well, as good as my DS with Works shocks. What's mud?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Up to about 6 inches and as for rock, I am referring to large trail rocks, streambed rocks of varying size.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

USMC, I ride a lot of diverse terrain. I've set up 2 sets of tire combos - 1 with razr's -for hard-packed, track-type stuff and 2nd set up with 22" Blackwaters - for all purpose, including a little sand. One guy thought I was crazy with the BW set-up, but let me tell you, it is amazing. It really hooks up. Hillclimbs are fast with the extra bite. I flatted 2 set's of Razr's in the first month, so I knew I needed something more HD.

I would recommend re-gearing (go up in teeth on rear to a 38 or 39T). Big difference on tight trails. Also, get a pipe to wake up the lower end. All in all. I'm very pleased with my set-up, which sounds like the type of set-up you'd want also for your terrain.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

I live quite close to you, and I have only made minor adjustments for trail riding. I would agree to add the front rezzies, but I have at the same time revalved both front and rear shocks. This helped make the ride alot more plush, plus it will take the big hits better too. I also changed the tires to the regular razrs, not the pr, this help the front track better when pushing hard on tight trails. If you ever go to Fox Valley range, place a post on here, and we can meet up, you're more than welcome to try it.

Something else you will want for aggressive trail riding, is to add a pipe, rejet it, and lower the gearing. All of these will help to give it a little more grunt out of the corner.

Ryan

Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you ILPRED! We are thinking about it in a couple of weeks. Sweettt......

Quick Reply: Predator Trail riding