Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb gettin no gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2000, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a hpd pipe and it was would start but the idle was high so i got that fixed and then it stalled. The carb is clean but the gas line that goes to the carb from the thing thats mounted on frame by the rad cap it dry. i can get it to fire only when i gett a gas soaked rag and put it over the airfilter hole so i no its not gettin any gas. do you have any idea what the prob is.

Old 05-28-2000, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

Stevie,

Are you getting gas to the carburator from the fuel line? If not, check the filter and the shut off valve for the tank, make sure the shut off valve is on. Also make sure that the vent for the gas tank isn't plugged or kinked. Make sure you have plenty of gas in the tank (I know that sounds pretty stupid, but I've seen it done before). When the machine runs, does it run better with the choke on when the engine is warm? If so, your jetting is still too lean. Also check the floats in the carb and float valve. Make sure they move up and down freely and that the float valve is clear of debris. It almost sounds like you're not getting gas into the carb's float bowl.

Old 05-28-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I did clean the filter the gas is turned on but that vent line on top of the gas tank got melted by my pipe when it was hanging down. I dont think there is any gas goin to the carb

Old 05-28-2000, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

It used to stall when i turned the choke on. But i cant get it running now i put the jet on they gave me.

Old 05-28-2000, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Accualley i no there aint no gas goin to the carb becuz when i took the carb apart it was bone dry.
and it will run with the gas soaked rag trick.
please help i dont want to go 50 miles to the dealer

Old 05-28-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I just went out there and cut alittle chunk off the vent line and it still wont start,

Old 05-28-2000, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Someone please help me i nedd to get it running by wedsday.

Come i no you guys in here are smarter than me so just try to help

Old 05-28-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I just went out to my garage and there sat my bike leakin gas from the line at the bottom of the carb. Its goin to the dealer and yes i feel sorry fpr hpd when the get a call from me on tuesday. Cuz im one mad mother ******

Old 05-28-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

It is a little hard to diagnose carb problems from a distance, but here goes.

I think if the carb isn't getting any gas, but the fuel line will flow, means only several things, Something is wrong with either the floats or the needle valve in the carb. If the float bowl is dry after you turn on the gas, it could be that the needle valve is stuck closed or that the floats are somehow jammed up closing the needle valve.

Remove the carb from your machine. Remove the four small screws for the float bowl. Remove the floats by pushing out the pin. Check the needle valve by pulling it from the housing in the carb. Attempt to blow low pressure air using a compressor into where the fuel line goes into the carb. See if the air is coming out of where the needle valve is. If it is, reassemble the valve and floats. Check to make sure that air will still flow through the needle valve when the floats are at the lowest level. Now, move the floats upward and make sure that the air from the needle valve stops. Reassemble your carb making sure that the floats are able to move freely. Re install the carb on your machine. It should work. If not, take it to your dealer and have him adjust the floats.

I hope this helped!

Old 05-28-2000, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

How about a bad fuel petcock? I had one on my 99TB. When I turned the fuel supply on it was actually off. The only way it worked was in the reserve position.

Quick Reply: Carb gettin no gas