Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Torn between Xplorer 400 and Magnum 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Scrambler 400 is still for sale and I suspect I will have it sold shortly, but meanwhile I'm dumbfounded as to what to replace it with. First of all, I have a friend of mine who just went from a 95 Xplorer 400 to a 00 Magnum 500. The reason why he switched was because he wanted shaft drive. He said chain drive was nothing but a headache for him and that I would be nuts to buy anything that has chain drive. Meanwhile my dealer says the same thing, he recommends a Magnum 500 and told me that a lot of the Xplorer 400's he sells give people trouble because of chain drive. However, looking at numbers, the Magnum 500 is $700 more than the Xplorer 400 and its more weight. Plus the Xplorer 400 is faster than the Magnum 500. Plus, there are no oil changes on the Xplorer 400, where as the Magnum has to have oil changes using the expensive Polaris oil which costs around $8 a quart. But, the Xplorer is harder on gas than the 4 stroke Magnum so thats one area where the Magnum would be cheaper to run. Plus I've heard that the electric starts on Polaris 4 strokes tend to die after about a year. I can somewhat believe this because I had a 97 Scrambler 500 and after a year and a half the electric start was pretty much shot.
Like I said, I'm torn. I'm wondering if maybe I could get a Xplorer 400 and rig up some kind of chain guard that would fully enclose the chain. Like I said, everyone tells me I should not get chain drive and that getting chain drive would be a mistake.
What are your opinions?

Old 06-02-2000, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 98 chain drive Explorer. Never had any problems. Just yesterday I ran over a bunch of beaver stobs. I got high centered on 3 of them. No problem. I would say if you like a fast utillity go with the explorer. If you like a stouter, slower, and more utillity minded quad go with the mag. Make them let you drive before you buy!

Old 06-02-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think the magnum is the best utility quad polaris makes. If you want a working machine that still has plenty of zip I wouldn't hesitate buying the magnum. 2 stroke, chain driven quads are for sport not utility.

Are you really concerned about the cost of an oil change, give me a break your spending $5000 -$6000 bucks?????

Old 06-02-2000, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Only you can make this decision. Your going from scrambler to mag or xplorer, so your changing from
sport to utility. The xplorer is probably in the middle. What do you want most from a utility atv? if speed then buy the xplorer. I own the xpedition 425 cc 5-speed. Its the same body as the magnum 500 only 5-speed versus auto. I Like the shaft ride. I think its the biggest plus for those machines. My own reason for not wanting a 2 cycle is the usual stink from the oil/gas. 4-stroke dont smell or get on your clouthes. If your just a trail rider for distance, you might prefer the xplorer for long distance travel. If you want a small tough tank type that dont stink and can carry loads, push, pull, haul, etc. then the magnum. Neither are polaris best mudder but they go pretty good in mud. rangerchet polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

Old 06-02-2000, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 500. I just bought a 2000 Sportsman. it is awesome,I thought about the Magnum, but said what the hell is 500 bucks more when it is the 6-7000 dollar range and went with the Sportsman. As for the electric start I have a friend his 1996 Magnum 425 has never had any trouble with the starting. Plus I think the 2000 models are the best(quality wise) that Polaris has ever offered. Yeah my 2000 Xplorer 250 chain sucked!
I won't ever own a chain drive atv. Unless it is just a spare one for beating on. Have you seen Wayne's new Kawasaki Vulcan 750? Sweet bike.

Old 06-02-2000, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

"We don't need no stinkin' two strokes..."

Seems like I've heard that before Rangerchet...

But, it is usually the mud on a rider's clothes that is usually of more concern than an occasional fume. Plus, as the Ferrari driver in Gum Ball Rally once said, "Whatsa behind me is not important!"

If you want speed, the ability to roost combined with comfort go for the Xplorer.

Amsoil injector oil is very low odor.

In our neck of the woods Xplorers are available for $5000

Rear drive chains are usually good for 2000 miles depending upon your muddin' conditions.

If you want more durability and don't need the speed or acceleration the Magnum 500 would be your choice @ $5700. Similar ride, less rear travel and 53 pounds heavier. Very similar mileage. Good luck, it is a difficult decision.

Old 06-02-2000, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

I've had my 94 Polaris 400 4X4 for a few years now. The first thing I did when I bought it was replace all three chains and all six sprockets. Expensive! I never had a problem before replacing them, and I have yet to have a problem because of the chains. But if I had to choose, then I would definately go with shaft drive. They last much longer and require less maintenance.

Old 06-02-2000, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Rangerchet,

You need to grow up son. Quit your bitching about 2 strokes and how unreliable they are. I just got back from Hurley Wisconsin. My quad never overheated like the Yamahas did or break down. I drove over 430+ MILES with out even adjusting my chain. I got over 20 mpg and only went through 2 quarts of oil. Your so called judgement of others is appaling. If you had ridden with me no doubt you would have worn the TB skirt for being a trail bitch. BTW we both live in Minnesota so if you want to see a real quad in action let me know.

Old 06-02-2000, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I think either machine would be great the big decision is up to you...I think the chains are a pre 96 model issue, I really don't think you would have much trouble with the chain, I have a friend that has one of the newer chain bikes from Polaris and he is pretty rough on it with no problems if you are really used to a sport bike I think you might get bored with a utility bike then again Polaris utility bikes are pretty fun if you ride them aggressive. As far as the Magnum maybe you should consider the sportsman also but the sportsman does come with more maintenance, sofer ride and bigger gas tank although the Magnum is one heck of a bike though...if the smell of 2 stroke is a problem, using yamalube 2 stroke oil does cut down on the smell, it actually smells pretty good...but the decision is yours let us know what you get...

Old 06-02-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch,I ride a 00 Xplorer.The oil injection will take you a long way before a fill up is needed.The Concentric drive is great to.You will hardly ever have to adjust the chain.I had a Sportsman,and for myself,I like the Xplorer more than the Sportsman.The Sportsman was just to heavy for the tight and technical trails that I sometimes encountered.The throttle response on the Xplorer is simple AWESUME.I have not had one single problem with my Xplorer since buying it on March 10th of this yr.Dont let anyone tell you about chain problems out of a new 2000 model Xplorer.I'd hate for that to be the reason why you dont buy one,good luck,===BILL

Quick Reply: Torn between Xplorer 400 and Magnum 500