Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Where in is the weep hole on the 400?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where in is the weep hole on the 400?!?!?!?

I just had the seals replaced last month. I've only rode 4 times since. I've checked the oil after every ride and it's been ok until the last ride. We rode 32 miles in the rain and mud with several creek crossings. We were cold,wet and muddy but man was it fun. It hasn't lost any water. I don't know where the weep hole is to check it. I'm going to take the oil pump off and seal everything good in case the water is getting thru there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen people post that they have installed tubing in the weep hole to keep it from getting plug. That's what I would like to do but I can't find the weep hole. PLEASE HELP. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

The weep hole is normally on the bottem of the water pump. May be hard to see have heard about putting a tube to it also. My 02 500ho had the seal go out and was leaking there.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Teeny little hole at the bottom of the waterpump, barely able to be seen from underneath, around the frame & skid plate, actually easier to 'feel' than see sometimes.

Farmr

Old 09-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like it's the seals AGAIN. It has less than 100 miles on it since the dealer replaced the seals. I love this quad but this crap is getting old!

Old 09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 sets of seals on a 2003 model? Hmmmmm.... Doesnt sound right for sure. If it was an older model the counterbalancer shaft might have grooves where it seals, but this is not the case. The seals are VERY easy to get installed wrong. I have to look closely at the manual and study for a couple of minutes every time I put them in. A wrong install would not always leak immediatley. It could run for awhile. Also make sure they're checking the impeller to casing clearance. Too close it rubs, too far away and the water cavitates. Bubba

Old 09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

The warranty is up now so I'll do it myself this time. Thanks for the tips Bubba I will definitely pay close attention that. Is it a good idea to run tubing from the weep hole? I think I'm still going to seal the oil pump real good and check the routing of the vent tube.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I remember talking about this to you before. Didn't you drive it for awhile with water in the oil? You may have a bad counter balance shaft. If the dealer just did it, I would take it back to them, they did something wrong. If they refuse, contact Polaris. Those seals can be a pain in the behind to get installed correctly. If your going to do it yourself this time, I would recommend buying the complete water pump, sometimes the housing can be a little warped and its hard to tell with the naked eye.

I love this quad but this crap is getting old!
I know how you feel, Polaris really needs to figure this thing out.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hi all, I'm the guy that installed the tubing from the weep hole to stop crud getting to the water pump seal. It is important however to make sure this tubing doesn't get plugged as this could, in the event of a wp seal leak cause a build up of pressure and possibly allow coolant to enter the engine oil system.
As for installing the seal it is extremely important to have the proper tools cos if you bend the shaft the engine has to be split to replace it. My theory was that if I buy the extraction tool and make the insertion tool the cost is about the same as the dealer doing the job. The next time it fails I can do it myself no matter where I am and the labour is free. I also carry a spare seal, gasket and coolant.
I also added a piece of tubing that goes from the top of my overflow bottle to up near my air intake.
Since I installed the tubing everything seams to be OK for now.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, that was me you talked to Scrambler X. I looked at the shaft when the mechanic had it apart. There were no obvious grooves or pits. I'm going to take it in today. It looks like I should just slide in under the warranty. I thought it was up but it doesn't expire until next week. Thanks for all the replies.