Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how long to replace/repair a slipping/wet belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long to replace/repair a slipping/wet belt

i am looking into getting a 400 scrambler 2x4 but heard (and have been reading) about the belts getting wet. If i am out riding and this happens, what do i do?

can i open it up easily engouh to do it on the trail and dry it out?
how do i dry it out?
what will i need to bring with me while riding to fix this?

i have ridden a warrior and 300ex, an with people on 400ex, raptors, etc...and we have been through water a few inches above the tires without problems. I just want to make sure that i am not going to be done for the day if i get water in the PVT.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing is to make sure the belt cover is on correctly, and the gasket is sealing well, extending the intake and exhaust for the belt housing will keep a lot of water out. If water does get in, and the belt starts to slip, the fix is to put it in neutral and rev up the motor, blowing out the water and drying the belt, then you are ready to go. With longer vents and a properly sealed belt housing, you will be surprised how deep you can be, I have ridden with a lot of polaris quads, never had one get wet, and we mudded quite a bit that day, spots deep enough to have to put your feet on the front fender to keep dry, the main thing is to keep moving so you don't let water back into the vents.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my Xplorer pushing water that came up to my front rack. I did not stop and did not have a problem. My buddy Prairie Twin has a 400 scrambler that was rolled into a pond in Waynoka and set for at least 5 min before we were able to get it out. He just started it and revved it up for a couple of min and took off riding again. To answer your question if you have the right tools it takes about 15 min to change the belt.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

great.
thanks for the info. the guy at the local bike dealership made it sound as though once water got in there, you were done for the day and it was a huge bother to dry out.

thanks agian.

Old 10-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

one word of caution if you fill the clutch full of mud and silt , it is agood idea to take the cover off when you get home and clean it out. I learned this lesson the hard way by ruining my primary clutch because when the bike is idling the belt picks this mud and silt up and rubs against the primary sheaves and will wear a groove in the sheaves .