Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

disconnecting oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnecting oil pump?

I was just wondering how many of you premix you gas and how many use the oil pump? Several people have to me that i should premix the gas because if the oil pump quits working that it will ruin the motor, and there is no way of knowing when it quits working. any help would be appreciated. thanks again

Old 12-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have not heard of a Polaris oil injector failing on any one. My mechanic has always told me to not mess with my oil pump. He claims he works on more burnt up motors that have removed the injection. Most remove it to save the extra weight from the tank for race and drag applications.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:57 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I agree,leave it alone .Unless you are going to do some heavy mod's.It is a mechanical system and very reliable.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

i just bought it and its unhooked right now. so you guys think i should hook it back up or get a new one if it is broke?? thanks

Old 12-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I think at this point it's a personal decision. I would get it fixed. I don't want to have to premix for one quad when I don't for all the rest of mine. Yours probaly works, but should be checked out properly.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks. its going in the weekend before christmas to get checked out.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 95 Explorer 400 and have never had a problem with the oil pump. Over the times I have read this forum there have been several threads that have discussed unhooking the oil pump. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to, it's pretty simple to fill the oil tank and go without having to measure oil and mix. Ofcourse everyone is different and I can only speak for myself, and if someone wants to then more power to them.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you guys who had left the pumps on are LUCKY!
and as for more engines being burned up with pre-mix then with injection THATS A BUNCH OF BULL!!!!
IF you pre-mix you know what you are getting.IF a speck of sand gets into the injector it will fail to givethe right amount of oil so, guess what YOU BURN UP THE MOTOR!!
my frist top end went because of this,so I took it off.
I can't beleive anyone would say that more engines are burned up without Injectors. unless you can read or understand how to mix.
I work on many 2-stroke engines and EVERYONE that was burned up had a oil injector.
Think about this ,YOU always see yamaha banshees and they are pre-mix only and I would say they are one of the most reliable atvs out there.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry , A few more thoughts, You can always use the oil tank for holding more gas,Which if you ever mod up your quad it will eat more gas.
Also cables strech and gears wear out,all of that will make it fail.
weight Never was a factor for me IT's all for piece of mind knowing that if something go wrong it's not with the gas/pre-mix

Old 12-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm, 40 club members in our snowmobile club all have oil injection into a 2 stroke. I guesstimate around 300,000 miles on our sleds very conservatively over the past three years. Not one burn down due to oil pump failure. Removing the oil pump for weight savings is one thing for fear of burn down is old school and simply uneeded with today's engines. Maintain your one extra oil cable, use clean oil and you won't have a problem.

Quick Reply: disconnecting oil pump?