Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stripping down the tb250 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping down the tb250

I am getting ready to restore my tb250...Me and my bud are going to do this.Were going to have a good time.the quad going to look todally different and new again......

I will keep my pics updated as much as i can.....

Old 12-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stripping down the tb250 today

I'm also going to change my Tb's graphics around this summer.
New graphics
Nerf bars
Chrome Jet-Coating on my pipe!

Old 12-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you taling the engine and trans out too? Did you get (or make) the clutch puller for the primary clutch? What about a clutch alinment tool?

Old 12-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Are you taling the engine and trans out too? Did you get (or make) the clutch puller for the primary clutch? What about a clutch alinment tool?
I dunno if i am or not i did not think about it yet. cuz my frame is not that bad.but i might though...i dont have any tools to take it out but if i do i would have to go get the tools for that job....

Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

You can use a fine thread 3/4" trailer ball to remove your primary.

Old 12-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

And once your done, you can take it to your dealer and have them align the clutches. That way you dont have to buy the tool. Remember to loctite the bolts that look like they should be loctited. And some of them really need to be torqued to spec. You dont want it to start falling apart on you done the trail[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Here are few tips for the job you are undertaking . I have done a fair amount of wrenching and these are somethings I have learned .

Before you start get paper bags , plastic bags , five gallon buckets , empty fruit loops boxes , or what have you to put nuts and bolts and parts in . With a permanent marker write what the parts go to on the outside of the container.

Treat each piece , bolt ,nut , bearing , A-arm as it's own project . The goal is a mechanically correct piece of equipment when comepleted . It is easy to look at graffics and dream of putting stickers on . Appearance is just icing . And yes ,, I like icing as much as anyone .

Rick

Old 12-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey, Rick. Just wondering. What do you personally ride?

Old 12-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, and I second they platis bag and container thingy. When I did the restoration of my harley, I am so glad thta I did that. I went frame up resto so EVERYTHING had to come off so the frame could be powdercoated. I am glad I knew where every nut and bolt went. I actually took the bags to a nut and bolt warehouse and had them match then all with stainless steel hardware.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Bigbad,

I don't own a ATV at this point , I used to buy a new one yearly for R&D , I would do my stuff with them and then trade for a new one . Last quad I owned was a 99 500 scrambler , when I was done with it , I took it to the dealer and handed it over and had them hold a credit for me til I needed another , I have store credit at that shop for a new quad but have not used it , (yes 5 years ago) .

I have a 1977 DT400 that is in the proccess of being redone , it is 80% comeplete , I started this project in July .

I also have 3 1979 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona specials in various states of disrepair .

My *pleasure wrenching* attention is mostly in the direction of antiques , I am 90% done with a late 1800's Flint and walling windmill that has been on my farm since 1930 , I am 41 and have lived here all my life and never once have I seen this thing work . I have always thought it was a nice piece of equipment and had the respect not to put holes in it with a .22 when I was 13 .

Another interesting project I have is an antique safe (late 1800's) that was the property of a relative on my wife's side of the family , he was a banker and this was his safe he had in his office . The patent dates are silk screened onto one of the inner doors with the patent numbers , they date in the the 1880's .

Honestly , I don't really have the time for maintenence on a quad , let alone time to ride one .

Rick

Quick Reply: Stripping down the tb250 today