Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Saddle Bags (Tank Bag)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sadle Bags (Tank Bag)

Well for Christmas I asked for Polaris saddle bags that go over your tank. I was lucky enough to get them, however I didn't realize that you needed to Velcro them to the tank. The Velcro strips on each side are huge, I guess to support the weight in the bag. My problem is that they stick right on the decals on each side of the tank!?!? I am sure that if I ever peal that off that the decals on both sides are going to be wrecked! I am not sure now if I want them anymore.
I was wondering if someone out there had a similar problem and found a way to mod the back so you don't need the Velcro. Or have used this before and can tell me that the Velcro won't take the decals off if ever removed?

Old 12-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Saddle Bags (Tank Bag)

I don't have saddle bags but are these the type that hang over the tank and the velcro is only used to stop them from flapping around? If this the case then couldn't you trim the velcro around the decal? I'm sure a small piece of velcro is all you need.
Just a thought.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Ya those are the ones I was talking about. The velcro strip is HUGE, 2 inches wide and the width of the bag on each side. Because they are so long and wide I suspect that they are there for support and not only for preventing the bags from flapping around. The other sad part is that there is not an open spot where I there is no decal to mount even a small peice of velcro.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

camoman
I had that problem on my Scrambler. I used a bungee cord, I ran it under the gas tank and hooked it to the zippers on each side of the bags.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i think you have to remove the gas cap, then put the bag over, then replace the gas cap. right? if so, i wouldn't even bother with the velcro. the gas cap will keep it from falling off.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I've got those very same saddle bags from Polaris...I just cut a couple of small strips off the supplied velcro, I didn't use the whole thing and I haven't had any problems with them flopping around....

I do carry a lot of stuff in them---1 has my tow strap which is pretty heavy and the other side has my extra tools and baggies of stuff I might need....I've yet to have them flop up....

If you leave them empty they will flop around without the velcro but if you're gonna leave 'em empty why have them right?

Now one reallybad thing about them is the plastic between the bags that sits on the tank-----since it's pretty hard plastic it will wear/scratch the plastic at the tank edges...I wish I had seen the ones with the neoprene between the bags before I got the ones I have.

I don't really care that much about scratching it up or anything because what I put that thing through it's gonna get beat up....I keep it sparkling clean but I don't baby it much....parts stickers are great scratch cover-uppers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just don't use all the velcro....I guess my strips are about 1" wide and maybe 2" long.....if you look around at it you might even be able to use more smaller pieces and "hide" them by putting them in hidden places orr on black parts of the stickers

Old 12-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the help guys! I never even thought of the back of the bag and how it would scratch as well. I might get some felt and glue it on the bags to save it a little. My first thought is that without the Velcro it would rip the top of the bags from all the bouncing. Good to know that with just a little Velcro it does work.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know you already got you'er bag but you might want to trad it in for what they call a "tank top bag". Its maid by atv logic and it sets on top of you'er tank with a map pocket. Zipper compartment with plenty of storage. Best of all it doesn't scratch you'er tank and you don't need valcro. Check them out I think I paid about 30 bucks for mine. It doesn't have those clumsey bags that hang down and cover you'er Polaris logo. And like I said no valcro over you'er sticker logos. It works for me anyway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

good idea.
i like the left or right front fender bags. they just don't get in the way like a rear fender bag does. IMHO.

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Range Rover

We've got the tank bags, and don't use the velcro. They don't jump around too much with stuff in them.

Larry

Quick Reply: Polaris Saddle Bags (Tank Bag)