Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Want to pick your brains!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to pick your brains!!

Hi there-
I am doing research on getting an ATV. I have narrowed my search between an Arctic Cat 400 and a Polaris 400 4x4. Both have what I want as far as ground clearance, IRS, auto, although the cat I could get a 2 by instead and you are probably wondering why would I do that. I really don't NEED 4 by so that would be the only reason not to get it. I was wanting some feed back from you all and see what you thought. Thanks for your time
Marla

Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Go for the 4x4. You dont have to have it in 4wd unless you need it. And you NEVER know when you may need it. My opinion id go for the Sportsman. Polaris had the best IRS out there. The axels are stronger, the seat is more comfy, the features are nicer. The AC is actually an air/oil cooled 378cc motor vs. the Polaris's liquid cooled 425cc motor. It looks like AC redesigned the 4wd engagement lever for 04 to a switch. Thats better than the lever that you had to pull that was down next to the engine on the past models. The SP has a a very nice gauge setup with a fuel gauge. And I am not sure whether or not the AC has a locker in it? The Polaris has a very good AWD system with TRUE 4WD. The only thing that I think is better on the AC, it that it comes with EBS standard (Polaris has a buy back program where you can add EBS to the SP400) and the AC weighs about 50lbs less

Old 01-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

I definitely would get the 4X4 model as BBS mentioned, it is a good option to have. You didnt mention which Cat you were looking at, they sure do have a lot of 400 choices so it is hard to guide you without knowing which one you were looking at....Actuallly it is Not hard, go with the Sportsman! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks BBS and Bearthunder
I am looking at the 400 auto in the AC. Another feature that the AC has that I am liking if I go with the auto is the EBS, but is that REALLY necessary? I have experience in shifting bikes so to go for a manual is not that big of a deal, plus aren't most "manuals" clutchless anyway? I just want something I can toodle around on and enjoy nature on. I am not super aggressive, well yet that is!! I just sold my dirt bike cause I wasn't into that, would rather have 4 wheels than 2 in the dirt. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The people with the EBS seem to love it. I have never had it, but I am experienced enough with my machine to know how it handles going down a hill and how it control its decent. But like I said, Polaris will buy back your non EBS clutch on a new machine and add and EBS clutch (for the SP400's). I believe that someone said that it was only like $150 more.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks BBS, that's not a bad price. Oh by the way like your pics, sweet Harley!! Before we moved I had a Yamaha 650 V-star, not a Harley, but who knows!!! I really enjoyed riding it but sold it to get the dirt bikes, now sold that to get the quad!!! It's a never ending cycle!!

Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanx bro!! Its a never ending process/money pit. But I guess thats what makes it a true custom[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]