Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loading Trail Boss 330 onto pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading Trail Boss 330 onto pickup truck

I've got to retrieve a Trail Boss 330 several hundred miles away. Can I load it onto the bed of a small pickup truck, a Ford Ranger? Has anyone with a 330 done this? Seems like the only problem would be getting the front end of the Boss over the wheel well extensions inside the bed, otherwise the dimensions are OK. This will be a solo job. Maybe I could drive the ATV over the wheel wells...?? What do I know -- I'm a rookie at this ATV stuff.

Damn, why do I get into situations like this!!

EW

Old 01-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

If it runs no problem, just bring some tie down straps in case your tailgate does not shut. I have seen Grizzly 660 in the back of Nissan and it fit, he just had stuff under the front tires to keep the front end of the wheeler from taking out the window.AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

My 400 fits in a ford ranger. You have to lift the front end over the wheel wells though

Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Watch gettin' over the wheel wells. I almost rode mine through the back window. I made a ramp from 2 x 6 treated lumber I just keep in the back. It starts at the rear of the wheel well and rest against the front of the bed. If you're going to haul it in the Ranger most of the time, I can send a picture if you want to make one. Cost about 20 bucks with wood and hardware. Been using it for almost 3 years now.
Almost forgot, the tailgate will shut, and the ramp angles it so the bumper doesn't hit the rear window.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Watch gettin' over the wheel wells. I almost rode mine through the back window. I made a ramp from 2 x 6 treated lumber I just keep in the back. It starts at the rear of the wheel well and rest against the front of the bed. If you're going to haul it in the Ranger most of the time, I can send a picture if you want to make one. Cost about 20 bucks with wood and hardware. Been using it for almost 3 years now.
Almost forgot, the tailgate will shut, and the ramp angles it so the bumper doesn't hit the rear window.
Scooter................

Thanks man, for the reply. Any chance of me lifting (while pulling) the front end of the Boss onto the wheel wells, then easing down on the other (front) side? I'm no wimp, but no Charles Atlas either. That way, I won't drive it accidentally into the Ranger's cab. And thanks for the idea about the ramp...... I might rig one up on my own.

EW

Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I used to ride it in over the wheels by myself. It's tricky, you got to hit the gas and catch the brake just right. Did it for 6 months that way. Biggest problem was the back wheels spinng on the tailgate. One day, I was 1/2 second late grabbing the brake. You can still see the scratches in the molding in my sliding window. I'll see if I can give the measurements I used, that should help give you an idea of what I did.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
I used to ride it in over the wheels by myself. It's tricky, you got to hit the gas and catch the brake just right. Did it for 6 months that way. Biggest problem was the back wheels spinng on the tailgate. One day, I was 1/2 second late grabbing the brake. You can still see the scratches in the molding in my sliding window. I'll see if I can give the measurements I used, that should help give you an idea of what I did.

Thanks -- anything you could provide would be cool. However, can't you just lift and pull the thing over the wheelwell?

EW

Old 01-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Honestly never tried the lift and pull, too lazy. The only problem I would see doing that is the amount of space between you and the quad once it clears the wells.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

yea please send some pics i wanna see

Old 01-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]My friend just put his new Sportsman 500 through the rear slider of his brand new 2004 Ford 150 FX4...It was icy and the atv strarted to come off ramps and he nailed the gas and whammo..rear slider on the dash..Sure ruined his weekend...

Quick Reply: Loading Trail Boss 330 onto pickup truck