Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Scrambler 4X4 hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Scrambler 4X4 hub problem

I have a 2001 Scrabler 500. I bought it used and ever since I bought it I have had a problem with the left front hub engaging on its own and then being very hard to disengage. It is pretty scary when you are flying up a trail and then all of a sudden that one hub kicks in and just about breaks your wrist. Recently it did the same thing and finally broke the yolk where the front half shaft connects to the front differential. I replaced the yolk and took apart the hub. I replaced the armature plate and the garter spring with new ones. Now the hub doesnt work at all. I took it apart again and tested the magnetism on the coil and it does work with the switch, only it doesnt feel that strong. Where do I go next ?? Is it the coil ?? Or did I perhaps put something together wrong ?? Does the new armature plate need time to break in ?? Thanks for your help.........

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

I would say that you messed up during assembly. Everything has to be put in exactly and the spacing has to be just right. Also, if the armature plate was bent even just a hair, it will cause it not to work. I would say to get a shop manual and see if it tells exactly how to put things back together.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

It doesnt seem all that difficult to reassemble. I downloaded a diagram. The armature plate's three tabs set into the roll cage assy. The whole assy. then goes on the shaft against the magnetic coil. Then the two bearings and the hub goes on, then the washer and castle nut. I am not sure what the torque is supposed to be on the castle nut, but I tried it with a few different tightnesses with no change. The armature plate is brand new and I am sure it is not bent. Then hub fluid goes in until it comes out the hole a the 3 o'clock position. What could I be doing wrong ?? The only possible thing I can think of is that the magnetic coil is getting weak and not holding the armature plate enough for the cam to engage the pins. Or maybe changing the fluid and putting new in there has made it more slippery and things just need time to seat... I sure would like to avoid a trip to the dealer.....

Old 02-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I wish I could help you, but I do not have the exact specs for putting it all back together. I know the torque has to be just right or it will be too tight or too loose causing bad operation. Also, like I said, the armature plate has to be perfectly straight. It could be the coil that was causing the problem from the start. Nothing should have to "break in," it should work right off the bat.