Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter Problems?

I have a 1996 polaris scrambler. When i push the start button it just clicks at the silnoid. I put a new silinoid on it but it just still makes a click when i push the start button. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Lance

Old 02-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the same thing happen to me, I didn't replace the solenoid though. I put a charger several times on my battery and after I still was getting the clicking noise, the problem was the battery was not holding a full charge, the lights would work (dimly) and a clicking noise would happen. What i would do is get a buddies quad put some booster cables to your battery and give it try. If that works get your self a new battery. This happened to my polaris battery just after it was 1 1/2 years old. Buy an aftermarket battery as well, I've had much better luck with them rather than OEM.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

The starter is usually the #1 cause of this - the 2 strokes have the starter on the bottom of the engine, where all the mud/water/dirt stays. They are prone to getting this "crud" into the starter itself - often trashing up the brushes on the starter to where they cannot make contact to the starter armature, thus the "click" of the solenoid, but no "turn" of the starter.

A lot of times you can just remove the starter and clean the brushes real good to get them "free" again (they are spring loaded). Some times the brush plate has to be replaced. A couple of other things while the starter is apart - grease both ends of the shaft well before putting it together, and look at the splines of the starter shaft - if they are worn, it will be time for a new starter (you can get a brand new one off ebay for around $125)

Old 02-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have also had the same problem before. most of the time your starter is fine, try a bost from your car or a loded good charged battety, when i did that it worked fine, then i got a new my battey. The silonoid will click in and a lover voltage if the battery is a little low, but then it dose not have enogh cranking amps to turn the motor. Perment magnet motors can take allot of crap and they are also seald when used as a starter on your 4wheeler, to keep the crap out, so save the time and try to bost it first.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same problem a week after i had mine rebuilt now i just took it off and use the pull start