Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

front 4x4 trouble polaris scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front 4x4 trouble polaris scrambler

Friends scrambler the right front will not lock in when 4x4 turned on.
At one time the wire was sheared in half. We resoldered and verified power to this.
We see the magnet pulling hte disk over.
However, the hub still does not lock in.
Question is this, What actually locks the hub in? Is there a spline shaft it moves when the disk moves over?
Is it pinned? We are going to take it apart this morning to repair since we are going riding on Sunday.
But have never had the hub apart and am unable to find a maual on this thing
anyone have a link to an online breakdown?

thanks

Old 03-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Here you go. I loaded the 4x4 pages out of my manual.

Polaris 4x4

Old 03-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Did you check your hub fluid first ? If it is ok the hub is easy to take apart and put back together just remember how everthing went in.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Crawdad, thanks very much
This is awesome, gotta love the power of the internet and the helpfull people like yourself
I am off to the garage to see what we find.

Will give findings later.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a member of another forum and apparently you cannot hyperlink over, they don't like one another I guess. I cut this from the other site that I spell backwards here. "emitvta". If you go there and search for "4 x 4 problem - 500 Sportsman " you'll find an entire page on the function of the system, this was my input.

Copy:
Polaris 4 wheel drive 101 do you have a service manual of any type? If not let me know and I send the pages along that go with the following.
There should be two wires coming from the front right, one for the coil and the second for the motion sensor. The sensor is working because one of the wheels is locking in so forget that one. The left wheel only has one wire for the magnet.

The second set of wires energizes the coil which locks the armature plate in place. With the plate locked against the face of the two sleeves it cannot rotate, the clutch housing is now fixed, the clutch housing attempts to turn, causing the roller bearings in the Hillard clutch to expand, hense 4 wheel drive. This expansion until it locks inside the sleeve in the hub itself.

Here's what I've seen on my 500:

First, is the magnet working? Need to know what you have for equipment to supply 12 volts at a low current. Is the wire kinked or cut?

Second, need to check the face alignment of the inner and out sleeves around the magnet assembly. The face of the outer sleeve needs to be flat or inline with the inner sleeve to within .001 inches. Not a major problem, you need a straight edge and a set of feller gages. When the magnet is energized it pulls that plate against the two faces. Because the armature plate was worn, I wonder if the outer sleeve has moved or worn causing only one to hit? Magnets of this type and size will only bend that plate about .001/.003 inches, if you're faces are not lined up that close it will not provide enought pull to stop the rotational force of the Hillard clutch causing the roller not to slide up and engage.

Third, is the sleeve inside the hub cracked? We had the Scramble crack but the 4 wheel drive still worked.

Q'Man