Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is a predator a good fourwheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a predator a good fourwheeler?

I think i might get a predator 500 or something..but arent they expensive?

Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

What is the speed on one? like way faster than a 400ex? and how much is it to a raptor?

Old 03-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Predators cost around $6,000 and for 04 they seem to be very good quads no bugs! They are fast top out around 74mph from what i hear stock for stock the pred beats the rappy...

and yes it's way faster then a 400ex...

Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, it is faster than a 400ex. Around the same speeds are the YFZ450, the 450R, Raptor and the Predator. Now handling you can take the Raptor out of that picture. Price for what you get....some would say take the YFZ out of the picture. Now your left with a new 04, untried Honda and a 04 Predator where the bugs are already worked out. Good luck on your decission. I've only heard of a couple of people that regret buying a Predator - isolated incidents.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

My brother just traded his Z in for a 04 Predator, and that thing just plain hauls. We did some very fast ruff trail riding (practicing for GNCC race in 2 weeks) and in stock form handled the ruff stuff allmost as good as my V with $1500 Elka's under it. It beat me in drags by about 2 lenths, and he said the power and haneling on the Pred far out weigh not having reverse. He will be running his Pred in the stock class. But dollar for dollar, he made a good choice. He paid $5999 for the Pred and that was with them giving him $3400 for his Z (The Z had about 100hrs on it) then he took the free 2 yr warrenty that Polaris is offering. The only thing he NEEDS to do to the Pred to run the stock class, is new 13 tooth front sprocket. Skids and tires are first rate for a stock atv. Go look at the skids on a 450R or even worse a YFZ450. A very poor excuse for calling them skids. Plan on putting another $500 on top of these atv's for tires and skids. Another thing he noticed, he didn't need a steering damper, the Z he needed one, but the Pred was great. Also, NO brake fade. This is due to stainless steel brake lines. He will see how it will really do in 2 weeks. But these are what I saw.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: GE4x4
Skids and tires are first rate for a stock atv. Go look at the skids on a 450R or even worse a YFZ450. A very poor excuse for calling them skids. Plan on putting another $500 on top of these atv's for tires and skids. q]

IMO yamaha put the crappy skids on the yfz because you can buy aftermarket skidsa(gytr) from them. They are making tons of money off of this.

Also i love my yfz stock tires.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Yfz450VsBanshee
Originally posted by: GE4x4Skids and tires are first rate for a stock atv. Go look at the skids on a 450R or even worse a YFZ450. A very poor excuse for calling them skids. Plan on putting another $500 on top of these atv's for tires and skids.

q]IMO yamaha put the crappy skids on the yfz because you can buy aftermarket skidsa(gytr) from them. They are making tons of money off of this.Also i love my yfz stock tires.
I cant believe they would go that low to screw people out of even more money... And run from 01 rappy owners Shame on you Yamaha!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Yfz450VsBanshee
Originally posted by: GE4x4
Skids and tires are first rate for a stock atv. Go look at the skids on a 450R or even worse a YFZ450. A very poor excuse for calling them skids. Plan on putting another $500 on top of these atv's for tires and skids. q]

IMO yamaha put the crappy skids on the yfz because you can buy aftermarket skidsa(gytr) from them. They are making tons of money off of this.

Also i love my yfz stock tires.
You can also buy skids from Polaris for the Pred. Most likely the cheap skids on the 450s are so that they can get that claimed lower weight. Just goes to show that the extra weight of the Polaris machines are mostly due to more heavy duty better quality components

Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

You can also buy skids from Polaris for the Pred. Most likely the cheap skids on the 450s are so that they can get that claimed lower weight. Just goes to show that the extra weight of the Polaris machines are mostly due to more heavy duty better quality components
I agree with that! .190 douglas, tought axle, wider a-arms, better tires and lots more....put that on the 450 s and they will be heavier then 350 pounds

Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: live4quads

I agree with that! .190 douglas, tought axle, wider a-arms, better tires and lots more....put that on the 450 s and they will be heavier then 350 pounds
Exactly. I remember a comment by one of the thoses guys when the YFZ first came out. His remarks was something like "It doesnt matter. You just replace those parts with aftermarket ones anyway" WTF!!! You just spent $7K on a machine and have to spend another $2K+ to get it up to standard. Now it no longer weighs the claimed 300 something pounds!!

Quick Reply: Is a predator a good fourwheeler?