Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

ive tried all of these instructions and none of them worked [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

AKracer what is not working. Here i have tried to simplify these instructions even more. Okay from the override switch on the handle bar there are 3 wires we are concered with. 1) gray/orange
2) gray/white 3) purple. First cut and tape off both ends of the gray/orande wire. Next cut the purple wire and tape off both ends. Next cut the gray/white and tape off the end that goes to the override switch. Next find a red/white wire and splice the open end of the gray/white into the red/white. This concludes the revers override. If you have any more trouble please e-mail me at dmcraine@adelphia.net and i will give my phone to call me.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok guys. Just finished it. I was correct on the purple wire, HOWEVER............. the location in which I spliced in was the problem. There is actually 3 purple wires. One comes down from the override button. Another one comes from the tranny to indicate when you are in reverse. Then those 2 come together and are connected to a 3rd purple wire that goes to the reverse indicator light on the dash. The problem was that I spliced into the purple wire after all 3 connected that goes to the indicator light. Sooooo, that meant that everytime the override button was pushed or the tranny was shifted into reverse (and the reverse indicator light came on) the horn got power. So the solution was simple. Find the purple wire that comes from the override button BEFORE all 3 connect. Just follow it down from the handle bars. YOu will have ot cut some of the insulation back to gain access. You want to cut that wire. Now tape off the end that continues on. You no longer need it. Now solder a wire to the purple wire that you just cut that comes from the switch. Noe just connect that wire to the horn. I also put an inline fuse in with that wire just in case. Power comes to the switch from the gray/white wire. Once you push the button in, the switch is closed and the power goes to the purple wire. Simple as that. The reverse indicator light will still function properly whrn shifted in reverse and should no longer come on when the button is pushed in.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Do you still connect the horn to the battery or will the horn get power from the prurple wire? and do you still connect it to that one wire (I forget the color, but its trhe one that you disconnect to get past the reverse limiter)

Old 04-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The horn gets it power from the purple wire. That is the only wire that I have connected to the horn (besides the ground)

Old 04-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

so all you hafta do is connect the purple wire and a ground wire?

Old 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes. The horn that i got came with a ground wire. One end is connected to the horn, and the other goes to the bolt on the bracket and is grounded to the frame. Just make sure that you hook up to the purple wire that come out of the override switch BEFORE all 3 purple wires connect, otherwise you will run into the same problem as I did

Old 04-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

So BBS let me get this straight, are you doing the revers override and a horn or just hooking up a horn. Second if you are just cutting the purple and not the gray/white, then you are using the gray/white to power the horn,through the override switch. If so that is a very bad idea, if you look at the wiring diaghram you will see the gray/white get's it's power from the awd switch or the gear selector switch at the trani, the reason that is bad is because the voltage that goes to awd switch goes through the awd coils at the hubs and if you were in awd and hit your horn you could loose voltage and kick you hubs in and out of awd doing damage to them. Third if you not cut the gray/white wire and apply ignition switch voltage to the gray/white wire then your reverse and nuetral lights do not work properly. Please explain I don't understand. But if it works for that is all that counts. Happy Trails

Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hey MrToys, I just wanted to say thanks. You've put a lot of time in this and helped me through this a lot.
Also, since the trailblazer does not have AWD, could it still be harmful?

Old 04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mr toys, I already have my reverse override disconnected. I simply unplugged the gray/orange wire at the connector under the cowl. I had to jump the gray/white wire an the red/white wire together to get 4wd in reverse though. For the horn, I believe that the gray/white wire is putting power to the button, then once the button is pushed in the gray/white wire and the purple wire are connected completing the circuit. That is the only other way I could figure out how to do it. My reverse and neutral lights still work fine too. I didnt realize that it could cause the problem with the awd though. I did notice that the gray/white wire and the red/white wire both are hot with the ignition on. I guess I will just be cautious not to use the horn in awd. I only use the awd in muddy conditions anyways

Quick Reply: Hooking up a horn: Will it work?