Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 EFI Belt Slip Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 EFI Belt Slip Problem

Got a chance to take my new 700 EFI out today and play in the mud after some rain. First mudhole that I hit, the trans belt started slipping so badly I almost got stuck. The hole wasn't very long or deep. In fact the floorboards were never under water, just a good splash. We had to wait and let the thing dry out before it would move enough to start drying the belt. I talked with my dad who used it to pull a trailer with some limbs and he said that he noticed it smoking when he was trying to pull the trailer. I never had either problem with my old '93 350 Polaris. A friend that went with us hit the exact same hole with the same line on a Kodiak with no problems whatosever.

It is still under warranty. Are there any adjustments that my dealer needs to do? I only have about 12 hours on it and it is time for the first dealer service.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Old 04-04-2004, 05:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Was your dad in Low when pulling the trailer? Also, you should not have gotten water in the clutch housing. Sounds like a bad clutch cover seal or something similar

Old 04-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Range Rover

I just got my new 500 ho so I haven"t hit any puddles at high speed yet ,so I don"t know if it is the same or not ,but on my 2000 400 xplorer if I hit the puddles going fast it would suck water into the belt housing through the intake vent,my brother says it does it to on his 03 700 .

Old 04-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was going pretty good when I hit it, sucking water in could be the problem. Is there any way to avoid this? I will have the dealer check the cover too.

My dad said that he was in high. I wasn't there so I don't know the exact circumstances. Is it possible that he could have smoked the belt?

Other than these small problems I really like it. Great gas mileage and a wonderful suspension. I really like the EBS as well. MY old one did not have this and there was more than one white-knuckle descent.

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Ihave tryed modifying the intake several ways it stopped the water but made the belt housing run to hot so I don't reccomend it ,Ifind if you slow down just enough to keep the splash down on the entry to the water you will be able to go through the rest of the water crossing as fast as you want ,and yes the belt might be ruined ,it doesn"t take long to smoke it if you are pulling a real heavy load in high range or stuck in the mud and you are using high range ,you might want to take the cover off and inspect it.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Always use low to pull. Also, use low if you are going to do about 10 mph or less for a good bit of time.

I think you took water into the clutch via the vent. If you hit water really fast it has a chance of spraying up and getting into the clutch. There are 2 things you should do when you get water in there. Remove the red drain plug on the bottom right of the clutch housing (you can see it right in front of the left rear tire). Second, put the ATV in neutral, and rev the engine a little bit for a few minutes. That will help dry out the clutch.

Old 04-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much guys. I'll pull the cover and check the belt. Also, I guess its about time to try a new line through the mud. I noticed afterwards the red drain plug in the bottom of the case. I'll be sure to do that next time.

I try to hit the mud a little fast. I'm not a real big fan of those Badlands tires. New ITP Mudlites on C series would be nice. Might go with 1" taller than stock.

Thanks again for the help and advice.