Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator vs Z400

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator vs Z400

Any big diffrence between the 2 besides 100cc? Whitch is faster? Whitch is better in mud and trails? What are the pros and cons of both?

Old 04-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Range Rover
Default Predator vs Z400

Really no comparison. Old vs. new design. The Predator has considerably more power and a more advanced suspension (although it takes some getting used to the different design). It also comes with a LOT of extras that you'd end up buying for the Z400 to race, including braided lines, chromoly swingarm, wider track, Razr tires, etc.

I all but embarrassed AWD machines a couple weekends ago by getting through everything including some muddy, snowy hill climbs. I got stuck once and they ribbed me endlessly for it but it was nervous laughter because I (and a guy on a Blaster!) got through it all including some fairly deep mud and icy hills.

In the woods I left the AWD quads including a Wolverine far behind even though it was tight going, because the Predator steering is THAT good.

It's not all perfect, the quad is so wide and built for racing that riding at the AWD machine's pace means wandering around and having the steering feel heavy. When I am left to my own to give it some real throttle though, everything just jells and the machine feels GREAT.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Predator vs Z400

z has reverse and is considerably lighter.

z has a somewhat better geometry for mx and is plush in the trails.

The pred is faster and has more hp potential because of the larger engine size. It also has a better stock suspension.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Predator vs Z400

Originally posted by: Shaman
Really no comparison. Old vs. new design. The Predator has considerably more power and a more advanced suspension (although it takes some getting used to the different design). It also comes with a LOT of extras that you'd end up buying for the Z400 to race, including braided lines, chromoly swingarm, wider track, Razr tires, etc.
WTF??? Both quads were released in 2003. Both have a liquid cooled, dohc engine.

The swinger is alum, not chromoly.

And your comparisons to awd machines dont correlate to the z question asked here.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Predator vs Z400

There is quite a difference between the ground clearances on them also. I'm not the fastest harescrambler in the world,but last year, I was constantly getting delayed by Z's which couldn't make it through the ruts that the rest of us could. Also the stock swingarm guard on the Predator is almost bullet proof. You can run it over trees and rocks for an entire season....and it'll still look new. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator vs Z400

I have rode booth machiens and i love the Z-400. I didnt like the preds. suspension, maybe cuz i never rode it enough to get used to. I also love doign wheelies and the Z is a lot easier to do that on. But old VS. new is pathetic, they are booth top of the line quads there timmy. eww a chromally swingarm thats going to make you go alot faster, idiot. But the pred does come with the braided brake lines and razors on the rear, to get nerf bars you do have to pay more and you also get a pipe, but for MX i would choose the Z over the pred, just because i have had more time on the Z so thats kinda a bias answere. Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Predator vs Z400

OK, Timmay (as you say) , the z400 *is* a somewhat older design, like it or no. I mean chromoly axle, not swingarm - something you should care about if you're going to jump it a lot... a lot of wide sport quads don't make it out of the woods or through a race with a bent axle. As for doing wheelies, it comes down to skill. Because I've ridden bikes for a long time, I had no trouble riding out 2nd gear wheelies on the Predator right out of the crate... your milage may vary.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Range Rover
Default Predator vs Z400

Buy them both!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There really isnt any comparison..they are both great quads with 2 totally different feels. I love the balance of the z400. In my opinion there isnt a quad out there that has a better balance. Everything you do on the z400 seems effortless because it has such a great balance to it; and it can be made to go quite fast too. But... I also love my predator. Once you get the suspension dialed in it is a great ride also. Its not balanced as well as the z400, but with all the extras you get with it its a great buy!!! And the predator has alot of power and extras out of the create; which could cost you less in the long run on modifications. It would be a very hard decision if I had to choose between the 2 of them. If I were you I would try like hell to test ride them both because thats the only way you will know which style you will be more comfortable with.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Predator vs Z400

The pred is the superior machine(i'm not saying this cause i own one) i was riding at my local sand pits with my scrambler right before they got closed down, there was a guy on a bone stock Z400, believe it or not I ALMOST took him with my modded scrambler 500 4x4, i got the hole shot, was ahead for a while then he went blazin past me... If a scrambler can keep up only a few bike lengths behind then the pred should have not problem with the Z, you might say what about modded? well if the pred is better stock then mods can only make it better from there, the pred will always be one step ahead of the Z...

Reverse who needs that? it makes you a better rider without it...

Oh wait the Z can beat the pred ONLY IN REVERSE..lol

TrailRider

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Predator vs Z400

a pred does whoop a z in a drag... but for trails the Z is a better machine... very comfortable seat and plush suspension.
as far as a z having a better frame for MX... i dont think so.... you sit a little to high... and the pro steering on a pred helps alot.

Quick Reply: Predator vs Z400