Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

expedition 425 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2000, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to hear from any owners about the expedition 425,hows the tranny,is there a problem with shifting from 3rd to 4th? i read somewhere that was the only downfall to the new tranny?how you like the machine overall? and what did you pay out the door price? im in the market for a new bike and this is one that im seriously considering,i want to get away from the belt drive that i have now but so far am pretty pleased with my magnum. thanks for any help in advance

Old 07-28-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

now i know theres a few of you out here,no opinions?

Old 07-28-2000, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hi BOWTIEPU, WELL i just got back from atving. I went with this new friend whom lives in duluth and we met through this forum. He on his polaris sportsmen 400 and me on my xpedition 425 cc 5-speed. I have 26 inch mud bugs and he has 26 inch mud runners. It was a good day. We each got stuck once in the same mud hole and the super awd system on the polaris each of us got off our atv and pushed and gave it throttle. The awd system helped the atv's drive right back up on top. He got stuck one extra time in a mud hole that not even a sp500 can go through. I know, that if jaime reads this that, it will be a challenge he cannot refuse. I dont think any atv can make it. I pulled him out and did not go in it because I knew the answer. My xpedition 425 shifts gears properly. I am not aware of this 3rd. to 4th. problem? I dont have it. I now have almost 1000 miles finally on my atv. It's running fine. What can I say??? Its an a-ok atv. At a latter date, my friend from duluth has another atv friend from duluth whom has a polaris sportsmen 335 with 26 inch vampire tires. Some day we plan to get together and try to decide which of the 3 brands we think is best for mudding. So far I would say equal. My xped. is not very fast compared to the sportmen 400. We switched for a while. He can reach his top speed real quick and his top end is approx. 60 mph and my xped. is about 55 mph. but like I say, he gets to his top end much faster then mine. I actually like his atv. It looks nice, is a good mudder, and is fast. By the way, for those people that remember that I am the person that used to bad mouth the 2 cycle machines
and how they stink. This one did not stink. So I at least will attest that some do and some dont. Allot of people chewed me out for talking about the 2 cycle stinky exhaust in the past. - I like my xped, just fine....... rangerchet

Old 07-29-2000, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sory Ive been rel busy this week, havent had time to reply.
The Xpedition 425 is a great machine, especially if you like the big Polaris feel but want the option of shifting your own gears. About this shifting problem, exactly what are youi refering to? I have an occasional problem where the tranny will kick out of gear or I guess it actually kicks down a gear. This usually happens when trying to haul *** on rough terrain or when Ive been "drag racing". I had assumed that I had "powershifted" it one too many times and probably bent a shift fork or something.
It also has the usual Polaris problems...tie rods ends , steering stem bushing, and brakes have all worn out prematurely on mine but the engine and AWD system have been flawless.

My advice would be test ride as many as you can and pick the one you like the best. You might also ask in your area about which dealers are the best because in the long run this will make a difference.

Old 07-31-2000, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bowtie,
Are you talking about shifting problems, or gear spacing. I've never had any shifting problems, in any gear. I think the gearing between 3rd and 4th is spaced a little wide. Most of my trail riding was in 3rd with 4th being a little to tall. I replaced my air filter with a K&N, and the bike pulls much better at lower rpms in 4th. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the manual tranny. I, personally think that tranny on a polaris gives you the best of both. As far as any motor mods, I thought I'd let Pflect or Rangerchet do um first. hehe

Brian

Old 07-31-2000, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

thansk for the replies..im still interested in the exp. if i could find a dealer that wants my trade..im still going to test drive an artic cat 4 or 500 auto but im still leaning towards the exp

Old 07-31-2000, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

dusty,i was referring to the article on polaris`s page from atv magazine..they said it was a good space between 3rd and 4th

Old 08-01-2000, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Dusty,
The bike responds well to an exhaust upgrade and jet kit for the carb. If you think that the air filter made a difference then you need to do the exhaust and jet kit. With these mods and 27's my bike will take off from a dead stop in third gear and pull a gear higher than you should be in.

Pfelect,
My bike will do the crazy shift when ever I do not shift it all the way. This usually happens when I getting rowdy on rough terrain and the bike is bouncing around or when I have had to many tasty adult beverages.

Old 08-01-2000, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I saw on the online catalog in the highlifter web site. That they now have a power kit for our xpeditions. They want a little more then 400.00 + for the kit. I spent enough, already this year, on my atv. Maybe next year. The kit includes everything 425xpedition is talking about.

I asked my dealer yesterday, if he has heard about
an xpedition 625cc comming out. He has not.

rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

Old 08-01-2000, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

well ive been shopping for my new exp.425, prices range from $6500 all the way down to $5399.out the door..is that a good price? its supposed to be 100 over dealer cost,can anyone tell me if thats true..luckily i have a trip planned out this way as the $5399 deal is 3 hours from my house,but like i said im going camping less than a half hour away in 2 weeks,they have 3 in stock so there should be at least one left,i hope.oh and there interested in my magnum on trade,without seeing ti anywhere form $3200-$3800...alot better deal than what the dealer that sold it to me offered,he wouldnt even take it on trade,what an ***

Quick Reply: expedition 425 questions