Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

has any one switched to a twist throtel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has any one switched to a twist throtel...

I'm sure glad Flyan got to that "joke left wide open" before I did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As the others have stated, it's personal. I had a twist on for a bit, but when you're hurkin' and jerkin' in some tight woods obstacles, the twist can be very dangerous.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: modquad
I'm sure glad Flyan got to that "joke left wide open" before I did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

it's personal. I had a twist on for a bit, but when you're hurkin' and jerkin' the twist can be very dangerous.
LOL.. Sorry Ken, left yourself open for a little "editing" on that one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] J/K

Old 05-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

So while gripping and twisting it, do you use two fingers or three...................?

On the BRAKE lever............the brake lever.

It's hard if not impossible to feather or grab some brake while still on the gas with a twist throttle. With a thumb, you can still whip the back end around a sharp corner while applying a bit of front brake. GREAT way to carve through the dune worm trails or weaving through the trees. Try it sometime.

Same with the clutch, you really don't need to grab it with all 4 fingers. Try using just 2, most the pro riders do this trick.

And while we're onto this fore-arm building topic.....to reduce arm pump, don't keep a death grip on the bars, a good mate Kiwi-Craig told me once to just keep pressure on both palms "pushing off the bars". Keep pushing and not gripping. Keeps the front end from wandering at speed, and saves on the arm pump.

"Going both ways"......he heh, reminds me of an old Boy George joke about him being a Bi-sexual..........any time he wants to have sex, he has to buy it.........

Old 05-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Actually Heapster you can do what we dirtbikers call a "re-grip", where you once you let off the brakes you rotate your wrist further than if you were just holding onto the bars, then you keep your wrist pretty straight when your going WFO down the straight. Its not too bad, its just something you learn to do, then it becomes second nature.

And for arm pump(again from the dirtbike days), you "grip" the bike/quad with your legs, and lean as far forward as you feel comfortable going down the straights. That way it takes all the strain of holding on off your hands and uses your legs for holding on.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Doh!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

i have one on my banshee and i love it.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Would that be the "herk and jerk" or "goin' both ways" that your banshee has? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] J/K

Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: modquad
Would that be the "herk and jerk" or "goin' both ways" that your banshee has? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] J/K
LOL!! I prefer the "herk and jerk"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]