Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

stock airbox modz

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock airbox modz

oooooooo ok redbull i know what you are talking about. yea i never had one of those for my machine. ive seen them tho. i do believe i had somethin like that on my sportsman 400 1997. i have 2 little rubber boots on my intake holes. but anyway im gonna gut the inside of my airbox. maybe go up on a jet.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Okay I went riding last weekend on the trails. They are mainly hard pack gravel, with some mud, but at times they get dusty. I rode for about 3 hours then I stopped and filled up with gas. Afte I restarted and headed back down the trails I noticed the engine hesitated and I could only get power through 1/2 throttle then it would start cutting out.

I have the stock airbox, rubber snorkle, filter and yellow outwear. When I got back I noticed the outerwear was all covered in dust and black particles. I have a feeling I plugged the stock filter up with dust cause of the factory yellow prefilter. I had a K&N in last year and it did the same thing so I put a new stock filter back in and it ran like new again.

So my question is what do I do to combat this from happening because it will happen about every 2-3 runs depending on the conditions? If I buy an "Outerwear" prefilter or another brand will this help out or am I screwed.

The bike ran great up until when I filled it gas then it was bad after that, I thought it might have been bad gas but no one in the group made any mention of it so it can't be that.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Clean the K&N and reuse it. When I run the trails during the summer when it is dry and dusty, I clean it <u>every</u> ride, as you should! That is what makes the K&N and the UNI filters so great, besides the extra air flow. The Outerware will only keep the large particles out like sand. Once that gets clogged it is over. Your better off for those kind of conditions with a 2 stage UNI filter. THe outside filter will catch the dust before getting to the main filter. These are the best for dusty conditions. Use the Outerware for the sand. K&N is great for race, and then sand with the use of an Outerware. K&N gets clogged very quikly in dusty conditions as do, crappy paper filters....