Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you make an HMF pipe trail legal????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make an HMF pipe trail legal????

I got the quite core and even welded a stainless washer to the end of it but it still seem waaaaay too loud. Im affraid I will get kicked off the trails when I go up north. They are cracking down on that!

Help! I know you guys have some tricks!

Old 05-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

not much you can do... HMF makes good power with there pipes... in return they are also loud. blocking airflow out of the pipe helps quite it down... but then defeats the purpose of having a pipe to begn with.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:44 AM
Range Rover

yeah, most of the time it doesn't matter if it is loud, but when I go trail riding I want it quite, it isn't a big deal if i loose power then.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

In a pinch, local racers have been installing a small wad of steel wool inside the end-cap. As in, take the cap off, then install the wool. Just didn't want anyone pushing it up the tail-pipe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Range Rover

how do you keep the steel wool from blowing out? do you put it inside the spark arrestor?

Old 05-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Upstream from the spark arrestor. I don't mean to be preaching, but this is why the noise control capabilities of the Pure Polaris/ WB unit are nice. If you're at a track or trail where testing is done, you can quiet things down. If you're racing, and testing isn't being done there, you can open things up a bit. Piece of mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: modquad
Upstream from the spark arrestor. I don't mean to be preaching, but this is why the noise control capabilities of the Pure Polaris/ WB unit are nice. If you're at a track or trail where testing is done, you can quiet things down. If you're racing, and testing isn't being done there, you can open things up a bit. Piece of mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I could just feel that one coming..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] lol. Like Modquad said, there are "cheater" ways to get an hmf to sqeak by, but if you want to be certain that sound won't be an issue then it seems like, WB, HPD, and FMF(Q muffler) are your only real options. I may get nailed by the "i told ya so" eventually as well, but for now....I love my pipe. Its definatley WAY quieter than the FMF Titanium4 14" I had on my CRF. That was just obnoxiously loud....