Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 500 vs. Z400

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 500 vs. Z400

Ok here is the dilemma. I have been riding 4X4's for years, but have never ridden sport quads. I have never even used a manny clutch, but im sure that I will not have a problem. I have been riding alot lately and am ready to get into the sport category.
Im 24, 5'10, 180, and have seriously been looking at the z400. From what I read it is a good overall quad that is easy to ride. Matter of fact I was about to buy the z last week until I went into my dealer and did some talking with the salesman.
I looked over the predator and found out that I could get the 500 for $100 more than the z due to a rebate this month. z-$5000 and pred-5100. I love the look of both quads, so looks are not the issue. I just dont want to buy the z and be dissapointed. But also dont want the pred if it is too much
....My riding is totally trails. I ride out on the tracks, and dip into trails and fly around. That is it, I will never be racing on an mx track...just racin with other quads around the dirt pit. I have never ridden either and do not know what I need or want.
Not having reverse is a big thing holding me up on this quad. Is that a big deal? I also heard that the predator is hard to wheelie. Is this true? Do you think a person of my riding ability would notice a difference between the two quads. Will the pred suspension be too tight for my riding preferences and abilities.
Please help me in making this decison, as I want to buy a quad very soon. Im just the type of person who likes to make educated decisions so all the help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I am a polaris guy but I would still say go with the z-400 in my opinion they are much more comfortable and from my personal experiences with both more reliable. The pred is a little faster stock but when both are modded I've seen the suzuki beat the predator the majority of the time.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my predator for about a year and haven't had any break downs at all, on the trail or on the mx track. I have a few friends that own z400's and they haven't had any problems out of them. The biggest question is if you want reverse or not. As far a speed you have to mod a z400 a lot to get it to keep up with a predator. Mine has a curtis sparks slip on and an edelbrock carb on it,and a hi rev cdi. My buddy on his z400 is dead even with me in 300 ft, but he has a 440 kit 12.5 to 1 comp. wiesco piston, port and polish, over size cams, hi rev cdi, valve work, and a curtis sparks full system. So you have to do alot to a z to keep up with a preddy.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambler123
I am a polaris guy but I would still say go with the z-400 in my opinion they are much more comfortable and from my personal experiences with both more reliable. The pred is a little faster stock but when both are modded I've seen the suzuki beat the predator the majority of the time.
Uh huh....mod for mod I doubt it. I'll even bet that I could mod a 400ex to beat a Predator....but its gonna cost a pretty penny.... What mods exactly are you talking to. Like he mentioned he isnt racing on a track or anything....I doubt he is looking into big bores and such....cuz it seems like his set back is since the price is of each is close...if money wasnt the issue why not just start off w/ a YFZ450 and not waste time modding?

Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I would ask....do I need reverse or not for trails??? even though I don't think reverse matters much on trails for the most part...I've seen people come to a dead end and just half donut around to turn it around....But the z is getting great talk about being a trail beast!!! I would choose on the reverse issue and wich one you like the looks of best.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Jcee, I think you'd be happy with the Z. It is very comfortable and excellent for the trails. My Z is used as a second quad in my household. Anybody who has ever ridden it loves it. I can't say the same for my Predator, even though that is really the only quad I ride, quite a few people have told me it is "too much" - and my Pred is not wildly modified (mostly bolt-ons).

If you were more of a racing/speed junky, I'd say go for the Predator, but from what I gathered from this thread, you would be very pleased with the Z's "all around" performance and comfort.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Z is a good all around performer, stock for stock, the Pred is faster, though the Z may pull it through third due to the Pred's taller stock gearing. I've raced KFX's/DVX's which are the same as the Z and won. If you were to wildly mod the the Z, sure you can run fast, but, in turn, you could also go out and mod the Pred. The aftermarket for the Z is undeniably bigger than the Pred.

I don't miss reverse on my Pred, and it is a bit harder to wheelie (2003 with longer swingarm) as it's designed to stay planted. Can't comment on the wheelie ability of the '04 Pred, as I haven't ridden one with the shorter swingarm.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

I don't know. After the pipe, airbox and jetting mods, my Predator fits my idea of "damn near perfect" now. It just plain kicks *** at all RPMs and is a blast to wheelie or jump.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has a Z with just a pipe and cams and he has never lost to a predator. In 300ft he beats preds with the pure polaris slip on by 3-4 lenghts i've seen this at least 20 times. the closest i've seen a pred to him is 2 lengths it had a full pipe no air box and a 90 pound rider. My brother in law has a Z with a pipe, rev box, fcr40, intake cam, he beats piped predators by 5 lengths up boxcar and by even more in the flats

Old 06-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks all for your replies...yes I was thinking that the z is probably the machine for me...

Just to clear some stuff up for me, as for now I am going to stay completely stock with whatever machine I have...cause jumping from a 4X4 im sure ill have enough power for the time being on any sport.
I just didnt want to buy a quad that I would be regretting, or wanting a new one next year. While I have not ridden sport quads before, I have always rode my 4x4 fast and hard, and also rode jet ski's for 12 years. While I know jet ski's are not really comparable as far as riding, I do know what its like when the new machine goes that much faster.
Should I grow into a pred or be comfortable on a z?

Quick Reply: Predator 500 vs. Z400