Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Strange 700 EFI Performance Issue today

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 700 EFI Performance Issue today

Put over a 100 miles on my 700 this weekend. It ran flawlessly until an incident this afternoon. On the way back to my cabin I had stopped for about 5-10 minutes. When I started it up I noticed that it was running kind of rough and the idle RPM was down to about 850 RPM. As I drove along I could feel that it didn't have any power. I was driving down hill. It would sputter from muffler when I would let off on the gas. Flooring it I could feel very little power difference. Just before my cabin there was a hill. I had to shift into low to make the grade. Once I got back to cabin I turned it off for about 30 seconds and then restarted. Amazingly it was normal again after the restart. Went out for test run and thing ran perfectly. This has me concerned. Check Engine light didn't come on and no stored codes when I placed in diagnostics mode. Any thoughts or has anyone else seen similar behavior? I plan to report this to my dealer. It felt like it was being starved for fuel but it really wasn't missing...it was just severely lacking power and would idle very poorly. The only difference I can think of is when I started it up it was on a hillside and I started before fuel pump had full energized. I wouldn't think this would matter.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds almost like a TP sensor problem.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yea I would let my dealer look at it, thats what that warranty is for. Sorry about your luck treacherous...

Old 06-06-2004, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

not to be an ***.. check the fuel....
odd problem

Old 06-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Now that I think about it, I do remeber reading in a mag (can't remeber which one) but the EFI has a fail safe mode. So my guess is if something isn't right it will run but with very little power so you can get it home. Once the ATV was restarted it reset the computer and started to run ok again. This sounds to me as to what happend, BUT you didn't get any stored codes and think you should have if that was the case. I think thats what happend, but let us know what the dealer thinks! Good luck treacherous!!

Old 06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

The EFI was designed to run as good or better on regular unleaded as premium gas. I am not sure the service soon light will come on when operateing in a limp mode either. Here is a couple of things I would check and why. First I would check all the connections on the variuos sensors. When you started it a bad connection could have told the ECU that the sensor was bad, hence the limp mode. Pinched or rubbed fuel lines (leak). Your owners manual describes how to pull the maintenace codes out if I rememebr right? But that is why the make a warranty!!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

couldnt your problems be related to the fact that you didnt give anytime for the fuel pump to prime itself, and starting it up right away, with the fuel pressure not where its supposed to be?

Old 06-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

I doesn't surprise me that the dealer didn't find anything. One of the hardest things to diagnois is a intermentant problem, if it aint broke you cant fix it. Unforntunatly, unless it is in the "llimp" mode when you take it to the dealer they might stumble onto it, fix it and never even know. One suggestion is that if it does it again pay close attention to everything you did before, during and after. These would be about the only way to narrow it down.

I disagree with the fuel pump priming thing. I used to wait fot the pump to finish running before I started it, not anymore I simply start and go.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Range Rover

Well it's been a while but my limp mode problem re-cropped up again about a week ago. I just got back from my cabin. I've e-mailed my dealer as well. Here is what happened:

I put about another 100 miles on my 700 EFI this week while at my cabin. I rode from about 2800 feet up to about 6300 feet. The temperature outside was fairly hot at around 90 degrees. I stopped several times along the way but symptoms didn't first show up until I had ridden down from 6300 feet to about 5300 feet. At the 5300 foot point I started up again after being stopped for about 15-20 minutes. I noticed the RPMs were down to about 930 RPM so I knew something was up. I restarted a couple times waiting about 15 seconds between restarts and it continued to do the same thing. No check engine light. I even tried to see if there were any codes at this point. There weren't any. I continued riding about 1/4 mile and there was a noticeable lack of power and some exhaust popping. It didn't seem as weak as last time.

I then stopped and turned it off again. I restarted same symptoms. I then shut off once more and cycled electric fuel pump 3 times before engaging starter. This time it started up without symptoms.

Other than these events on that day it ran fine the rest of the day and at other times the rest of the week.

Do you think this could be a fuel pump issue?

Treacherous

Old 08-02-2004, 02:34 AM
Range Rover

Treacherous, It could be a fuel pump issue.....because mine went into safe or limp mode once......and i did ask my dealer about it,,,,and he said it is possible that the fuel pump wasnt up to pressure yet......and thats why it went into that mode..

I have read on here a few times where fuel pumps have gone bad with only a few miles on them......and i know for fact that they do....my friends had 3 miles on it and it went out.....so yes it could be something in the fuel pump...or maybe something (dirt) cloggin the filter or a fuel line ran incorrectly and its pinching the line and not building up the proper pressure.....

But i am not totally sure...

Luke

Quick Reply: Strange 700 EFI Performance Issue today