Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 500 Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2000, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding the other day and I was trying to get over a log, so I put it in 4-wheel low, and then there was this load noise comming from the tranny, I tried a few things out and figued that it was the gear that is on the shaft that takes the power off the rear drive train, (Im preatty sure) because now the drive shaft that powers the front end doesnt move at all. I was just wondering if anyone has experenced this problem, or heard about it happening to someone, or just give your thoughts and advice, all is very much appreciated.

Thanks Muddog
97 Sportsman 500

Old 08-07-2000, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

I actually had a very similar experience this weekend on my 2k SP500. I was down in a deep, narrow creek bed, trying to get up the other side even though it was nearly vertical, about 3 feet high. My rear wheels were down in the creek with the front wheels up on the bank. I put it in low and gave it a bunch of gas, and as my rear wheels hit the bottom of the bank, I heard a hell of a crunch. At the time it sounded like the tranny to me, but once I got up the bank it went away and I didn't hear anything the rest of the day.
When I had the machine jacked up and the wheels off I noticed that on the right rear swingarm (or is it an A-arm?) there was a bolt that had sheared off. It is a bolt with a large, round washer, about 1.25 inches diameter, with a orange bumper. It holds together the black A-arm or whatever, to the silver hub. There is a grease zert for the whole piece. I'm still skeptical as to whether the sound that I heard was this little bolt shearing off, so I'm still thinking that maybe it was something in the tranny.

Hopefully it is covered under warranty, I got the machine in January. I hit the bank with some decent force, but certainly not enough that I would expect to break something. Unfortunately, it sheared off with about the last 1/4 inch of bolt still threaded into the hub, so I bet the whole deal will need to be replaced. I'm really hoping I don't have to pay for the thing, it will probably cost a few bucks.

So the moral of the story is, you might want to take a look at the bolts with the bright orange bumpers. They are connect the rear hubs to the suspension linkage, and they are actually located right inside of the wheel rims. It can't actually fall all the way out because it will hit the rim, so wiggle them around to make sure they are firmly attached.
I hope this helps and makes sense.

Scott

Old 08-09-2000, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help but that is not the problem, it is something internal in the tranny. Because today I jacked up the rear end and turned it on and held the gas. the drive shaft that goes to the front end didnt even turn at all. so it is like either a gear is out or the drive shaft splines are gone. There is a small plate on the bottom of the tranny near the rear brake, and I was going to take that off to look inside, but was unable to get it off. One last question, has anyone taken that off, how much can you see of the gears? I should get back my manual from my budy today or tomarrow, which should answer most of my questions.

Thanks Muddog

Old 08-10-2000, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Just to inform anyone that wanted to know, I will update you on my situation. I figured that it was one of the gears in the tranny that powers the front end. I got my manual and then figured out that I had to take out my tranny. so between me and my friend we took it totally out of the *** end in about 2 hours. then I opened up the plate and saw that the ring gear was missing teeth. so I went and purchaced on for like $140.

To fill you all in
Muddog