Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Whats the secret to put a new chain on???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the secret to put a new chain on???

The question asks itself....got my new chain in today....been trying to put it on for about half an hour.....cut it down to right size and its like one link away from connecting...how do you strech it or make it that extra inch so you can get the master link on both ends??????????

Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

unbolt your sprocket and move it over till the hole is over the actual axle shaft not the bearing carrier this will give you some more room then you can put it back in the right spot.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine jacked off the ground when i put a new chain on, and it goes on fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Is your adjustment all the way in? Or..................don't cut the chain so short! :-) jk I've heard of people putting 2 master links in it, but I don't recomend doing that!

Old 06-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

No I didn't cut it to short!!!! haha....but I just need a little bit more..I did have it jacked but that didn't seem to help...I'm going to try your way scrambler 123 and see if I can get it that way...thanks guys...and keep them coming..I might need more ideas!

Old 06-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

it shouldnt be that hard,are you putting the masterlink through one end and then trying to connect it to the other end?i usually slide the chain around the sprocket,lock both ends down on the teeth,then just slide the master through both links,if you cant get it that way then you cut your chain to short..

Old 06-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

like paul said,

is your axle turned so that your adjustment is all the way in?

X

Old 06-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

If this helps on mine I jacked the back end of my bike off the ground and used needle nose pylers to strech the chain enough to slide the master link on

Old 06-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, welp I've been out in the garage for a long time....I still can't get it....I know the the axle isn't slid all the way in...I tried to get the axle to free spin so it would be all the way in..so I loosened all the bolts..put a punch in to lock the back sprocket....lets just say that the punch broke before the axel spun..I couldn't get the the axle to spin freely with the sprocket locked...so my plan now is...I added two more links...just so I could get the chain on...and tomorrow I'm going to ride easy just to see if I can get the new chain to loosen up a little bit then I'll take the two extra links out and see If she wont go on then...I just know that this is a b*atch!!

And no I didn't cut it to short....76 links......thats what my dad thought too....He was like no way is that chain going to fit on there...its to short...and I was like..I cut it to the right size....and he was like.........YOU CUT IT....you f*cked up.....Its ok..I got my old chain and counted out the same amount of links as my new chain to prove him wrong..
welp guys..I appreciate your help!! keep inputing me and I'll keep you updated...but I'm calling it a night..I'll start again in the morn.

Thanks again.
Quadracer

Quick Reply: Whats the secret to put a new chain on???