Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 00 425 Xpedition, and I wanted to know if a lift kit is a good idea? Does it place undue stress and wear on drive lines? And also if the machine can perform well with 27" mud runners.
Any help or insight would be welcomed.

BBQ

Old 08-11-2000, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, Another 425 xpedition man. Your the 3rd. new one on this web site, recently.

425xpedition is running 27 inch tires. He has a monster power kit to help.

Ya, A lift kit does put stress on the tie-rods.

I am running 26 inch mudbugs by maxxis with itp magnum billet aluminum rims that I bought from highlifter. IT is a light setup and I lost no power. Do some searching here as we have several posts about xpeditions with lots of helpfull info.
Welcome, you must have recently made this purchase?

rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

Old 08-11-2000, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

there is a forum member named 425expedition..i beleive he has 27`s on his quad,he said it turns them pretty good.. if i remember right he just added better springs or bought the kit from hi lifter for ther front..he should be able to help you out..if you lift yes it does put more stress on cv`s and ujoints,it changes the angles of your axles,if you can get away without doing a lift and just bigger tires you`d be better off i think..taller tires give you ground clearance not lift kits..hope this helps.im sure he will reply to your post

Old 08-11-2000, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

BBQ,

Rancherchet was mistaken: Lift kits don't put any extra stress on the tie rods. They do put extra stress on u-joints and cv-joints. And a lift kit for the front DOES give more ground clearance, as do larger tires. Howevever, a lift kit for the rear only adds more ground clearance at the mid-section of the quad--not at the rear axle. I wouldn't go over 1.5 inches of lift on either end. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference.

Old 08-11-2000, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I am a new Polaris owner and this is my first 4x4. I sold a big bear in order to upgrade. Every one seems to going big with the 4x4 and I guess I wanted to know if the lift and 27's would reduce reliability of the quad. I love the quad it is like a fully loaded caddy when compared to my 4x2 Bigbear.

So is a lift worth the stresses on the drive lines? I ride alot about 1 hour a day average, and love to "see if I can make it " when mud and water are found. But I an an old dude and think as well as ride. Along these lines I also wash and PMCS (preventive maintanance checks and services) my quad almost daily, obsessive really.
So how often should I grease and how much, and are there other things other than the items in the manual I should watch. I thank you one and all for the info.

BBQ

Old 08-12-2000, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Allot of people up here are forgoing the lift kit and just adding 25 or 26 inch tires, to lessen the stress on the driveline. Ihave a stock SP and a freind just put 25 inch Vamps on his and wow it makes a huge difference in traction. These quads already have good ground clearance, though it should turn 27' without much power loss. Good luck in which ever way you decide to go.

Old 08-12-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

To run 27" tires you will at least have to lift the front. It does change the angle of the CV-joints and tie rods, but most of the added stress comes from the bigger tires that everybody puts on there wheeler. The mudrunners are a lighter tire than most and will not hurt the performance much. The bike will easily turn them. If you like to play in water you will need to plug the drain line on the carb. Look back at some of the old Xpedition posts and see some of the other tips.