winch cable problems????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOTE FROM ATVBBS:

Standard font color only, please.

atvbbs

well i got stuck a few days ago and i had a major problem my winch cable some how got trangled up and the cable only came out a little bit and not enough cable came out to tie to anything to get me out so me and alot of my friends had to push it out and then when i went to bring in the little bit of cable it started cuting the power on my sp500 (anyone now why it did that) so then when i got home i had to cut my winch cable off cause it was so trangled so know i dont know where to buy a winch cable from any one have any idea where i can find one well laters

Old 08-11-2000, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you've been using it to pull other people out--not winching, but running some cable out, hooking it up, and just pulling them with your quad. You should never do this, since it buries the outside strand of cable tightly into the others. The dealership that you bought the bike a should be able to get you some cable in.

Old 08-11-2000, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

that is one way as well as if you dont keep tension on the line when you fee dit back in to the spool it will also get tangled up..i would look at atv web sites to buy new cable..dealers are good but more expensive

Old 08-11-2000, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a new cable for mine at www.cabelas.com. I think it cost about 30 bucks.

Andy G

Old 08-11-2000, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing magic about winch cable. "Wire Rope" in the telephone directory yellow pages will provide many sources, if the hardware store, Wal-Mart, or whatever doesn't have what you want in stock. Specify the diameter, length, and buy a couple of cable clips and a thimble and you're in business (you may want to rig something on the spool end of the cable to fasten it to the reel). Ideally, get a rigging shop to swage a loop in the end for the hook; but, cable clips will work.

Keeping tension on the cable when it's spooled is a good tip (as I proved a couple of weekends ago as I wrestled with a self-inflicted bird's nest myself).

Tree Farmer

Old 08-13-2000, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Sportsman500rse1:
I'm not sure what the superwinch cable size is, but for the Warn winches, the atv winches all seem to use 3/16" wire aircraft cable in a 7x19 strand wrap. It can be found at any hardware store or a place that would sell cable or chain. I picked up an additional 100' of it to use with my ****** block, when needed for longer pulls, and rigged hooks on both ends. Total cost for the 100' was right around $21.00. Works great when needed. As others have stated, never use your winch cable as a "tow" cable. I would suggest adding a tow rope or strap to your arsenal of recovery equipment and an extra clevis or two. They work great and take the strain away from towing with your winch cable.

Best of luck!

Hey Tree Farmer:
How is it that the "Winch God" himself managed to acquire a nest so cleverly built around his trusty drum??? Heh Heh Heh. BTW, my ****** block saved the day once again last saturday. It seems a Toyota pickup lifted with 33's managed to get himself stuck in a mudhole-winch deep, with no hope of getting out. He had two buddies with him, both with Toyota's who tried to pull him out. One broke his chain, the other blew his rear end. I pulled up on the 'Cat and offered a hand. After much disbelief and laughter from the two friends of his, I hooked up the tree saver and ****** block and out he came! Actually, even surprised myself with that one. Why didn't he use his own winch you ask? Well, it seems he too had a birds nest in his winch, got frustrated trying to untangle it so he figured he'd take the grinder to it and salvage what was left. Only ended up with about 25' of cable on an 8000 lbs. winch!

Just thought you'd be interested. Take care!

Mike

Old 08-13-2000, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice goin', Cowboy! You obviously take better care of your equipment than I do!

How did a bird's nest happen to me (of all people)? Well, actually, I learn something new every day. While I thought I had spooled the cable under tension after its last use, evidence suggests otherwise--I must have negligently depended upon the tension plate alone when I spooled it up; then, when I tried to play the cable out by hand with the freespooled winch, I got just so far. I later tied onto a tree with a polymer sling and backed the quad to clear the jam, respooling under load very carefully.

Lesson learned: check out the winch cable stowage before the next outing--play it out by hand, clean and lubricate it if necessary; then, carefully stow it, using a "handsaver bar" or some similar tool to get as level a wind as possible, to make sure the cable's ready when you really need it.

Another corollary I should have followed: play out a goodly length of winch cable BEFORE you enter areas where its use is likely; that way, if any problem shows up in the cable wrap, you've got a better chance to clear it than when you or your buddies are stuck. Then, when you need some slack prior to a pull, the slack's already there, without struggling to pull the cable out while walking through knee-deep mud.

Tree Farmer