Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris reliability

I am sure this will get people going. I am interested in buying a new polaris, but I am concerned with overall reliability. I have researched other forums, and I have noticed that in general, Hondas have far fewer people complaining about break downs. I know that they all have problems, but I don't ride very hard and mine will be for hunting mainly. Do you guys believe that the new bikes are where they should be as far as reliability? I have owned both, and my 1999 polaris 500 has had many issues, but I have heard they are much better now. My 2001 foreman has never had the first problem. I really want a new 800 EFI, so convince me that I won't be disappointed, or I may go with the good old 500 rubicon. Thanks guys.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I believe that Honda's reliabilty (not that they dont have their own issues especially with their new trannies) is due in part that they are very simple and don't have all the accessories and other parts that the other manufactures have. It takes Honda a while to catch up to the other manufactures as far as new technology and incorperating what the public wants into their machines. With that said, all the manufactures are on par with eachother as far as reliability goes. Each brand has its lemons and each new machine introduced will have bugs to get worked out. But to say that toady one manufacture is better in reliability than another is nonsense. I believe that the more important thing to consider is how the company backs their products when they do have issues. Yamaha would have to be the absolute WORST when it comes to standing behind their products. Polaris has done a very fine job of backing their stuff. Just ask the guys that had tranny problems with their 03 Preds. I can't speak for Honda on that though. JMO

Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Many manufacturers stay with certain lineups for long periods for good reason. If something works you leave it alone. Polaris has some good standby machines. None of us can tell you how good a new model quad that hasn't hit show room floors will be in the long run. With my dealer, I would not hesitate to buy an 800. Do you have that confidence in your dealer? There are 2 other Polaris dealers within the same distance and I would not buy from them nor ever trust their service. Had I bought my first quad from them and had a problem I would hate Polaris too. I guess what I'm saying is buy what or who you have confidence in, or you'll have a bad taste in your mouth regardless how minor a problem you have. Just a side note: my Polaris dealer works on as many Hondas as Polaris and they don't sell Honda. Partly due to the fact the local Honda dealer is a giant terd.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If something breaks polaris will fix it.

I had an aarm on my predator start to crack, polaris gave me 4 new aarms and new rear tires for free even covered labor.

They all have bugs, the best thing to do is go with the company that fixes the problems with no hassles.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

I appreciate the advice. I do agree that Honda seems to be behind the rest of the pack with their equipment. I guess it all comes down to one thing. My brother always says to buy the biggest, baddest thing out there and you seldom are disappointed, regardless of cost. It seems that 99% of polaris owners love their machines, and all the other riders who own other brands think polaris stinks. If they rode one after a day on their's, they might just understand why polaris is number one in sales. I was interested to get everyone's opinions on the newer bikes. Mine was a 99 model, and it was a good bike considering how it was driven. I have heard that now they are by far superior to others. Thanks