Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crazed Ideas for snorkel and flotation,,,

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,on my 325 magnum I have wanted to snorkel the carb. air intake....What would be wrong with removing the factory air box,running a piece of heavy duty vacuum hose with proper inside diameter back and down the frame,opposite side from the muffler,up and put a filter on its end......As I only need/want a snorkel on certain runs this seems feasable.I know I would need to run the crankase vent tube up too.....This would be easily removable in order to put the factory airbox back in place for riding where a snorkel would get in the way.....as for flotation....how about four 5 gallon buckets,sealed of course!!!!! strapped to the polaris tube type bumpers....2 front,2 rear....Here again the idea is to have something easily removable for times you arent playing submarine......Any thoughts on this approach?????

Old 08-18-2000, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

PLEASE do it !! And Please take pictures. LOL.

I can't wait.

Dave

Old 08-19-2000, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Dave,ya know I've thought a lot on this stuff and read everthing I could find posted on the subject....This is SO simple that I just know there has to be a flaw somewhere.....Anyway going out of town this weekend but planning on building it soon....

Old 08-19-2000, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Figure about 40 lbs. of bouyancy per 5 gallon bucket in fresh clear water.

Old 08-19-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I don't doubt that it'll work. I just want YOU to do it first, and show me pictures before I try it.

A buddy of mine has toyed with the idea of gluing styrofoam under the fenders. Got drunk once (well, actually he has gotten drunk alot) and started thinking of how he could incorporate his SP500 and a 10 foot john boat. He lost me on that one.

Good luck.

Dave

Old 08-19-2000, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CaptNemo oughta know (q.v., Jules Verne)! 40 pounds flotation per bucket sounds about right; I guess water weight about 8 pounds per gallon, and five of 'em . . . what'd that cat, Archimedes, say?

You won't need buckets to support the entire weight of the quad; the water the quad displaces supports it somewhat. Actually, the guys with those dually wheel setups (featured in magazine articles) had this drill knocked, cold! A quad with dual wheels and tires floats down the lake like the Queen Mary (if you believe the magazines). One with jury-rigged floats may perform more like the, ummm, Titanic, perhaps? Have fun, and remember the Rule of the Sea: Women and children first!

Tree Farmer

Old 08-20-2000, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

There's a fella around here who put 8" PVC pipe on each end of his quad, pressurizes it to about 100psi, and he claims it works great. Mind you, I've never seen his set-up...just have his word on it, but it seems like it's gotta help some.

Old 08-20-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Pressurizing the pontoons won't help, as air under pressure adds weight. An aluminum 80ft3 SCUBA bottle thats full weighs about 6 lbs more than an empty bottle.
I'm a commercial diver by trade Tree Farmer, and Archimedes Principle was an intregal part of my Salvage Theory class.

Old 08-10-2002, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

if anyone does this and gets it workin e-mail me please jason_toulan@hotmail.com

also paddle tires would make ur floatin quad go faster

Old 08-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have always thought a set of pontoons mounted in a way that you could drive over them and bolt to the frame would work . Similar to mounting a belly mower to a tractor . Keep them about 8 inches off of the ground and on the outside of the tires . It would be wide , but , I bet you could fish off of it if done right .

I would make them the same way I do pipes . I could build a set in a few hours.

Um ... Trolling motor on the rear rack too ?

Quick Reply: Crazed Ideas for snorkel and flotation,,,