Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Purchase and Repair Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase and Repair Advice Needed

Hello group,

This is my first time posting, as I am primarily a Polaris watercraft rider. However recently I have become interested in purchasing a Polaris ATV to use primarily for towing watercraft in and out of the water. Thus, I am needing a fairly powerful 4X4 but don't want to spend a ton of money. The local dealer has a '95 Magnum 425 which needs a little work. Specifically, the cam and exhaust rocker need to be replaced. Otherwise, the machine is in decent shape. According to the dealer, the machine has been used primarily as a "shop vehicle" around the dealership. The current asking price is $1800, which includes the parts for the repair. I have fair mechanic skills and am not afraid to take on a job like this if it is worth it in the long run. I have gathered from reading posts on the Magnum 425 that it is an overall good machine and should be perfect for my needs. Now for my questions.

What would cause the cam to go bad?
Is this a sign of hard use and are other problems soon to follow?
Is the replacement a difficult job and is there a tech article that I can download?
Is the $1800 a fair price given the circumstances or should I offer less?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

NADA lists this machine as 1775 average retail and 1350 low retail. That would be without needing any work. If they fixed it, then it may be worth it. JMO

Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would cause the cam to go bad?
One very likely cause of this is excess idling. Many small recreational 4-stokes - as well as many older motorcycles (check out the Honda V-4 forum for Magna, Sabre, Interceptor about top end oiling and cam wear) don't get enough oil to the top end at low rpm. If this was indeed a shop vehicle, it may have sat around idling ALOT. That could be the cause. That said, I wouldn't give 'em that much unless it was repaired.

If you decide to fix it yourself, figure your labor at $65/hour and deduct that from your offer. Can't help with how long it would take, but someone else on here should be able to.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 425 Magnum for yrs and it was a great machine.Never had cam trouble(my old V65 ate them like candy)Polaris cam trouble comes from poor maintanace and not using 0-w40 synthetic oil.I wouldnt give them much over a $1000 for it.If the cams are bad chances are there is more going wrong with it.