Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you like your predator? Pros/Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your predator? Pros/Cons?

Hi,
Im looking at selling the 250 due to the fact that I ride it pretty hard for its size/type. Im looking at getting a sport quad. Im kinda interested in a predator. They look sweet and handle pretty good from what I hear. So tell me what are are the pros/cons of this quad?
I heard a few guys say that there is some sort of carb vent hose that is placed to low so when you ride in water the quad stalls out? Also heard some problems on the 03s with trannys etc. Can somebody enlighten me on this?
I don't want some immature 12 y/o telling me to buy a yfz 450 or trx 450 because polaris sucks etc etc... Im not going to waste my time reading those pointless posts.

Thanks
AgressiveRider[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hey.....glad to hear you are interested.......the pred is great at handling, probably the best out there. It is also pretty comfortable, atleast better than the yfz. The power is amazing, and it has tons of torque. It does need geared down a little, and the airbox is considered cheap by some. The vent hose isn't a problem for me, but I have heard of it before, which isn't a big deal either, all you do is reroute it. The 03's did have some issues, mine is fine, and so are a lot of them, but some were bad. Anything newer than those, are very impressive. They are continuing to fix things, and they also have excellent warrenty. Polaris stands behind the predator 100%. They are an awesome machine....

Old 09-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

i love em, even though i dont have one (got 2 freinds that do, 04 and an 04 TLE). its engine revs really fast and hard, lol i remember when i first rode one, my friend told me to stick it in 1st gear and pin it (i wasnt used to so much power at the time, all i had ridden was my TB). so i shifted it and pinned it, flew right onto my ***. so yea...dont pin it and try to wheelie, thats my suggestion.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. I've found an 04' for 6500 Canadian (about 5000 American). Only problem I have with it is that it has vampires for rear tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Another thing is that since its so cheap (compared to other 04 preds) is that it may be one tired pred thats been bagged on.

I had similar situation with a snowmobile we bought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. While I love the sled I was kind of stupid and I didn't get under it and check it out fully. Parts on it where worn away, torn or missing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
I've replaced all of the needed parts and its now a rockin' sled but I should have raised an eyebrown as to why the guy was selling it for so cheap.

You never know I guess. Could be a college kid who rarely rides it and thought vampires were the way to go... we'll see
gotta sell the 250 first[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!

I have nothing but praise for my machine. It's a pretty durrable bike...I've ridden it hard... flipped it a few times, tweaked the frame... tweaked it back. I did bend a shift fork (tranny problem)... part of that was my fault, I was riding it like my dirt-bike... needed to use the clutch more often. It's a great all around bike and has pleanty of power in the stock form... I've put on the LTE exhust, new cdi and that livened it up even more.

The crank case vent should be re-routed on the stock machine to have it's own filter ($10 fix). Otherwise if it's rolled over and let rest for a few seconds the crank-case oil saturates the air-filter... that'll shut ya down 'till you get a new filter.

For the money... it's a great bike. You could deal on an '04 now and get a real good deal.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Edmonton Alberta eh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Where do you ride? I live an hour and a half away from Edmonton.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info guys.
Jibrille I mainly ride on my grandparents farm and a few of my relatives farms who live in the same area which is about an hour from Edmontonchuck.

Im still debating on whether or not I should look at a sport quad or just ride my bike, which is fun but for some of the stuff I ride, a bike would be kinda scary (such as a going down a slippery shale rock hill or wet riding where you slide out and crash every now and then).

Old 09-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

hey AgressiveRider, im from edmonton also.... have u ever riden in a place called Cloverbar? its out on meridian street near the waste disposal plant...

Old 09-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Nope I haven't ridden there... Honestly I do 90% of my riding at my relatives farms and some trips to other places on the side.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well, if either of you guys come north of Edmonton, there are a lot of trails and hills where I live, also have you guys tried out Hinton? That place is a blast.

Quick Reply: How do you like your predator? Pros/Cons?